Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

firewalld - multiple services / sources?

If you have a system with one network interface, and you want to allow ssh from some addresses, freeipa-ldap from others, and https (which is part of freeipa-ldap) from another one; and you do not want to have a sea of rich rules... how do you do that?

I can't tell if firewalld is just really poorly documented or very limited. I am sorely tempted to disable it and just use good ol' iptables, but I don't like the kneejerk "Just disable it!" attitude, partly because one day there'll be something that you have to do "the new way", and you'll be far behind the curve.

I did try it about 6 months ago, spend 2/3 days trying to block some addresses but could not find any way could block ports but not much use

I when through and printed out all documentation 159 pages in all, will try again in 6 months.

When back to iptables, yes it does warn that they will stop support in the future this was on Fedora 25.

Dennis

Just Joined!
    You might want to consider iptables. Also install fail2ban if your machine is internet facing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2 View Post
    I did try it about 6 months ago, spend 2/3 days trying to block some addresses but could not find any way could block ports but not much use
    It turns out you can specify a service in a rich rule.

Code:
    firewall-cmd --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" source address="192.168.2.0/24" service name="freeipa-ldap" accept'
    So you don't have to specify each and every port.

Quote Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
    It turns out you can specify a service in a rich rule.

Code:
    firewall-cmd --add-rich-rule='rule family="ipv4" source address="192.168.2.0/24" service name="freeipa-ldap" accept'
    So you don't have to specify each and every port.
    I did try it with using a similar command line, but after testing I found it did not work nothing was blocked.

Please note there have been quite a few updates since I tried it so it is quite possible it works fine now

Dennis

How about you try on simple port block

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport <PORT> -s <IP_ADD> -j ACCEPT

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport <PORT> -j DROP

This will allowed the IP_ADD to connect to declared port and lock for all other ips