Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

“Dracut Patcher generating initramfs error"

I was wondering whether anyone could help with issue I’ve been experiencing.

PS.
    My background is Windows Server\VMware\Infrastructure with 18mths of Linux (Redhat 4\5\6) P2V\V2V, etc.

The brief was to perform a hot migration of a Linux virtual appliance (running on a physical server) of the following description:

2.6.18-308.16.1.e15.centos.plus (gcc version 4.1.2 20080704) (Red Hat 4.1.2-52))

Initially migration was attempted using PlateSpin 12.2, but failed due to source OS not being supported. Which led me to use VMware Converter 6.0, which in fact managed to carry out migration up until 98% before failing due to “DracuPatcher generating initramfs error!!”

I initially thought this was a simple case of me needing to recreate ramdisk from backup, having made a copy of running kernel prior to migration. But having tried to do this, using a Linux rescue, message came up saying no modules were found!!

This led me to do a bit of Googling around as you do, when I came across the following article which I thought would fix issue:

bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1227537

Comment 2, seemed to be the agreed workaround according to article, but unfortunately having added suggested fix to fstab and then grub, this did not work for me!!

Prior to kernel panic error appearing, I noticed the following message appear amongst a whole lot of stuff:

Mount: could not find filesystem: ‘dev/root’

I should mention, Server has two partitions as shown below:

/dev/sda1 *boot
    /dev/sda2

Finally, the following KB article seems to be a closer match to issue I’m having:

KB No: 2048116

How would I be able to determine which modules are missing from kernel? Nothing was shown in VMware Converter.

Based on above info, how would I go about building the module for running kernel?

If anyone could kindly steer me in the right direction, this would be very much appreciated?

Hi, maybe you will find my experience useful.
    After migrating P2V with VMware Converter I had to recreate RAM disk since HW changed.
    Or, you you can
    - boot rescue and install / update a new kernel
    - fix grub
    - fix initrd
    - fix network interfaces
    - fix /etc/fstab

Quote Originally Posted by zbilic View Post
    Hi, maybe you will find my experience useful.
    After migrating P2V with VMware Converter I had to recreate RAM disk since HW changed.
    Or, you you can
    - boot rescue and install / update a new kernel
    - fix grub
    - fix initrd
    - fix network interfaces
    - fix /etc/fstab
    Many thanks for your reply zbillic. Unfortunately having tried all those steps and more as specified in VMware KB2048116 article, modules were still not found for kernel and so a lift and shift was finally decided.

Cheers again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close