Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Making a DNS Server at home. Do I need to make DHCP also?

Hi guys.

Some History first. At my parents house they are having some issues with ISP router as it cant access some specific sites (Like YouTube). I did some check up and it seems that it has to do with DNS as I test OpenDNS on the client PCs and it is working fine.

As with the geographic location, OpenDNS is far with 300+ ms also the locate ISP DNS is about 150 to 200 ms. So making a local DNS server is the best option for me.

By using a spare old PC (that with intel Core2Duo). I will set it up and make the ISP router point to it as DNS 1 option and the DNS 2 with DNS 3 will be pointed somewhere else as backup.

Note:

1 - We can exchange the router with the ISP. But first we need for technian visit plus router price which will cost. I want to try this first for the fun of it.

2 - It is possible for the ISP router not to work properly with the local DNS server. But there is only one way to find out.

3 - I will make it as an automatic update and restart during specific times.

4 - Yes, it could be overkill. But I want to see how is goes.

The question here. Should I disable the DHCP in the ISP router with this and enable it on CentOS with the DNS? Or it is not related? As I want them to continue use the internet even if the DNS server is off.

Thanks,

DHCP is network configuration helper. I do not use it at all in my home network.
    While building your own DNS may be fun it won't necessarily speed up your DNS queries. Do you intend to use root servers? What about Google DNS, 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8? You could use them instead of your ISP DNS, and you do not need your own DNS for this.
    Core 2 Duo is terrible overkill for this task.
    Can you put ISP router into bridge mode? If you can, then having your own router would be even more fun. There are ready to use solutions like PfSense, totally user configurable. Or you can build and configure your own based on BSD or Linux.

It makes sense to put the DHCP and DNS server together on the same hardware, as you want the networked PCs to do their DHCP broadcast and have them resolved by this local server. You probably wouldn't want the router responding to DHCP requests if you have a server of your own doing it.

Note that Bind 9 can be set up to do caching and forwarding only, so that might be the configuration you need. There is some config help for that here: https://www.tecmint.com/install-cach...ver-in-centos/

Another consideration is that, instead of doing this on an 'old pc'... you might want to do it on a small arm board such as a raspberry pi which will run at about 3 Watts so can be left turned on for ever. There are full Linux distributions for those boards too. These small boards are more than capable at handling these small server tasks.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by katana85 View Post
    At my parents house they are having some issues with ISP router as it cant access some specific sites (Like YouTube).
    my interpretation of the situation?
    OP did something to piss off his parents' ISP.
    like, download stuff with bittorrent. harmless, not wrong in itself, but maybe some ISP's don't like it.

You don't have to setup DHCP at all if you manually assign IP address.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk