Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I lost some data but I didn't say I don't have any backups... The data was not as important as getting the machine back up and running... -) BTW, like I said earlier, I ran all kinds of diagnosis on the drive which checked out ok. The irritating part was that running an update would render it useless.

Now a little more irritating part which doesn't belong to this thread. Prior to Fedora I had Ubuntu 6 installed on this machine number of years ago. It worked like a charm... Including VNC which I need badly. Had tightvnc server running and could connect from laptop easily. Now, with 16 LTS version of Ubuntu, that basic functionality is broen. Have a hard time believing it and gave up on it and trying XRDP now. It seems I'm not alone... Can't find a good answer for this one -

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2351163

The hack mentioned at the top starts a loop in creating X sessions indefinitely until machine dies.

This is not a question unless someone already knows an answer. I've got xrdp setup now but it's not my preference.

If the drive checked out OK then you could have mounted the filesystem and copy off your data.
    Don't know and don't care about VNC. Never understood why some people are obsessed with it. It has lots of overhead compared to plain SSH. I manage several servers and never needed anything but SSH to get the command line.

That was the strange thing, and hence the question. System Services option checked out the drive ok, but none of the boot disks did, even after booting in safe mode using Ubuntu CD. It just won't recogninze it. Finally Windows 10 boot somehow recognized it and allowed me to reformat partitions. I don't have any clue why.

As for VNC, well I like it so I can remotely do work from my laptop without being at the physical desktop. I guess since I deal with only one or two machines, I find it convenient, but to each his own.

Thanks for your help btw.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    X has native mode to run applications remotely, X consists of two parts, server and client. These two usually run in the same computer, but they don't have to. I used often run a GUI application in a headless box, and this headless box even did not have Xorg server installed. People who resort to VNC think Windows, you run Linux, you should think Linux.
    Regarding your drive, did you analyze its partition table and filesystems while booted from an external media? I have no clue what System Services are, sounds like something GUI and thus useless.

System Services is just one of those BIOS options like System Setup that appear on this particular Dell server. It's not something after OS loads. It's during BIOS load so I'm assuming it's a functionality provided by BIOS to check hardware (including HD, RAM, etc. -- all of it). But even after that all checked out, somehow Ubuntu wouldn't recognize it for whatever reason. Note that Windows XP also did not recognize it. Like I said, for some reason Windows 10 did thankfully, otherwise I was about to give up on it or seek some professional help.

BTW, just to clarify on vnc point, yes I'm very much ware of X functionality. FWIW, I've even debugged and fixed X server code as part of my career experience. However, I generally don't run Linux on laptop since it needs goodies like MS Office etc for business work, so yes I could run some X server on laptop and run clients from Linux box but it's just more convenient to vnc primarily because I don't lose whatever I was working on on the Linux box if and when I reboot my laptop, as you might know is frequent with Windows machines even after they've been at it for close to 30 years now...

Just Joined!
    When you run yum update, the system will update the kernel as well. You can just revert back to old kernel you were running previously.

I have only limited knowledge of kernel, but I don't think updating kernel should be able to render HD undetectable while booting with other OS's. May be it's possible if they update firmware as part of the process...

Besides, reverting back to old kernel assumes I can boot using original OS, which I was not able to, as it failed with some "unable to find HD" kind of error.

I really hope someone on Fedora team looks at this because it's a pretty serious problem.

Just Joined!
    OK guess you already know it then, I can't help you.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I run CentOS on my server and Mint on my laptop. Both work very well for me. I ran Fedora years ago - too much of a PITA!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!