Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cpu core removal from rhel box

Hi All,
    I am working on a government contract and one of the requirements is to reduce the number of CPU’s in the Linux RHEL enterprise box. I have been reading about enabling and disabling said cores but the government wants us to actually REMOVE these cores from the box.
    We explained to him but to no avail that using the aforementioned commands would do the same but he is insisting that the excess cores need to be physically removed.

This is being done for Oracle usage purposes.

Would like to hear your proposals on “how to” get this done IF it is at all possible.

Thanks for your help on this issue in advance.

Regards

bdby

hi

*THE* linux rhel enterprise box?
    The only one in the world?
    The one that everyone knows the exact specifications?

In general:
    Get the specs of the machines, especially of the mainboard and how many and which CPUs are in the socket(s)

Reducing the cores and or cpus can be done by
    - using fewer sockets (the natural lower limit would be "1")
    - using compatible cpus with fewer cores

It also helps to be sure that the box is rebootsafe, is turned off while removing/replacing cpus and to adjust alerting rules on e.g. load.
    Depending on the motherboard it might be neccessary to adjust then DIMM/slot assignment.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    *THE* linux rhel enterprise box?
    The only one in the world?
    The one that everyone knows the exact specifications?
    yeah, and also *THE* one and only government, lol.

problem description fishy as hell.

what government employs a linux newb who calls himself professional who cannot give a proper problem description and doesn't dare open up a computer?
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi Irithori

I appreciate your answer on this matter. My co worker and I are working remotely away from the hardware. It turns out the gov when they purchased the servers bought the biggest they could find at the time and now want to remove the excess cores from the sockets to bring it into compliance with Oracle licensing.

Regards

al

Quote Originally Posted by bdby View Post
    Hi Irithori
    I appreciate your answer on this matter. My co worker and I are working remotely away from the hardware. It turns out the gov when they purchased the servers bought the biggest they could find at the time and now want to remove the excess cores from the sockets to bring it into compliance with Oracle licensing.
    so if you cant touch the hardware how do you or they think your going to be able to remove anything from the box? my advice is tell them to buy a smaller and newer box, with as few cores as they want. or buy you some nice first-class plane tickets to come and remove them.

A chisel and hammer will do. To remove 4 cores from an 8 core CPU split it right in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by bdby View Post
    remove the excess cores from the sockets to bring it into compliance with Oracle licensing.
    it's a thing! Oracle licensing - Oracle FAQ
    who'd've thought...

well i still don't see how the computer could come to any harm (provided you do it properly of course) if you switch off the machine & simply try it out - you can always put them back in if it doesn't work.

of course, since you're not actually there, i can understand your hesitation! it is going to take a very steady hand to do that from somewhere else!

edit:
    i am assuming that this is some server hardware that actually has several physical cpus in it.
    not sure if that is the case or even possible, it is not my area of expertise.
    my desktop has 2 cores and 4 threads, but it's all in one chip, so the chisel&hammer method would apply
    Tapatalk: Kill it with fire!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.