Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

dell r640 kern panics on boot with 6.x and 7.3/7.4

so i have a dell r640 server with 8 15k 2.5 SAS/SAta drives and a mini H740P controller. the installation of RedHat 6.9, 7.3, and/or 7.4 completes successfully. Upon reboot kernel panics with not much indication of what is going on.

We've tried many things... including resetting bios to factory and did a current firmware update on the system. Also 'stepped back ' all BIOS/Integrated device settings to usually 'fail-safe' configurations - which the OSes still kernel paniced upon attempted startup - but did make the system's bios and startup screens behave a little different. Which was very interesting.

does anyone have any new and exciting ideas to try? :oP Thx in advance!

Since you can't give any clue why this panic occurs I suggest you call Red Hat support, you are paying for RHEL, so why not get what you are paying for.

Maybe also try to boot from a live distro, and see if you get the same issue - a different distro kernel my have some setting changed by default. at least if that works you know that the issue is your RH kernel. Then go back to the RH boot, and boot from grub into single user mode or interactive mode. You can trouble shoot from there?
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I do not use RHEL, but even I heard RHEL kernels with latest Meltdown fix tend to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I do not use RHEL, but even I heard RHEL kernels with latest Meltdown fix tend to panic.
    So they still have a meltdown. Friday afternoon sense of humour.

The enterprise kernels often have lots of custom settings, or lack support for consumer devices etc. IMHO they are often hard to get going when something else on the server has broken. Maybe also check the server iDRAC interface page, and see if it has logged an internal fault. The iDRAC interface is a great way to get into a machine that is otherwise non-responsive.
    ~~

We really do not know what they have there. Was the kernel updated during install or not. Heck, we even do not know for sure it is RHEL. There is also Red Hat 6 and Red Hat 7, outdated, but maybe that's what they are using.

Resolved!

so to make a very long story short - i did in fact startup the original physical system using a 'fresh install' not a past-used scripted installer with pxe...and it still was wonky to put it mildly but did let me boot most normally. I still had unusual things happening with that system - so because i had access to an identical piece of hardware/an additional r640 system...i did firmware updates to it as the first system and behaved completely differently at startup - as well as loaded rhel on the new 640 'fresh' and had no issues... so my guess also is that the original 640 has something weird going on somewhere in the hardware.

so the issue was in fact a hardware problem with the first system and a configuration issue in the pxe scripted installer. I still workin on the installer for future use - but as far as anything further with this question etc - im considering resolved cuz all is a full 'koom by yah' lol. :o)

Thank everyone who posted onto this because every piece helped me come to this! :o) ...this was a wonky one that i'll remember for a while. lol

Quote Originally Posted by oksoundman View Post
    Thank everyone who posted onto this because every piece helped me come to this! :o) ...this was a wonky one that i'll remember for a while. lol
    Ah, meltdown or not you got a resolution. Cool beans, let's mark it solved for the troubleshooting ideas.

Go well.
    ~~

Just Joined!
    -->
    Only reason I keep Winblows around is to update firmware.

You can't draw conclusions from the fact that most people use laptops instead of desktop these days and amongst Linux users Lenovo ThinkPads are very popular. Roosters also don't make the sun rise, despite the 1:1 correlation. There's just a lot of buggy hardware out there...