Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

nvidia package conflicts

hi all,

i am using ElRepo to install my nvidia driver as i have heard its the best way to do it rather than running the .run script that nvidia website provides

https://elrepo.org/tiki/nvidia-detect

but when i run "yum install kmod-nvidia" i run into this package conflict

--> Processing Conflict: nvidia-x11-drv-340xx-340.107-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 conflicts xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: nvidia-x11-drv-340xx conflicts with 2org-x11-drv-nvidia-384.111-1.el7.x86_64
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

im researching into the error myself but if anyone can help me out i would be much appreciated

cheers,
    rob

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    hi all,

i am using ElRepo to install my nvidia driver as i have heard its the best way to do it rather than running the .run script that nvidia website provides

https://elrepo.org/tiki/nvidia-detect

but when i run "yum install kmod-nvidia" i run into this package conflict

--> Processing Conflict: nvidia-x11-drv-340xx-340.107-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 conflicts xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: nvidia-x11-drv-340xx conflicts with 2org-x11-drv-nvidia-384.111-1.el7.x86_64
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

im researching into the error myself but if anyone can help me out i would be much appreciated

cheers,
    rob
    yea, your 'researching" by posting the same crap on a bunch of forums, like you always do. did your 'extensive research" try the two things that yum told you? since you 'heard" from someone how great doing it this way was, why dont you ask them?

The instructions provided are for new driver installs. The package conflict literally tells you the package that's stopping it which is a different nvidia driver. Drop to a shell and remove the conflicting package and try again.
    Here are some great instructions...
    If-not-true-then-false.com/2015/fedora-nvidia-guide/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    These drivers (340 and 384) are meant for different generations of nVidia cards. If 384 works then one definitely does not want to downgrade to previous generation.

-->
    and it doesnt matter anyway since the op posts the exact same crap on about half dozen forums and never follows up. just carpet-bombs forums with his hand out.