Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

grep only macting pattern

hi all,

i only want to show the result if it matches the pattern ONLY and not just part of the pattern, this is very important as im going to be installing drivers using the if/then/else statments

i will show you what im trying to do

lspci | grep -iwe "980"
    06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] (rev a1)

so really it shouldnt have found it as all i put was 980 not 980 ti

thanks,

rob

Quote Originally Posted by robertw View Post
    hi all,

i only want to show the result if it matches the pattern ONLY and not just part of the pattern, this is very important as im going to be installing drivers using the if/then/else statments

i will show you what im trying to do

lspci | grep -iwe "980"
    06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] (rev a1)

so really it shouldnt have found it as all i put was 980 not 980 ti

thanks,

rob
    how stupid are you? you told it to find 980 and guess what, it did. why dont you check your dozens of other forums youve spammed with this junk to see what they say too.

thanks for your stupid answer and obviously im not stupid as i solved it

and the reason as i post in multiple forums is to get everyones opinions hence why people post on forums

lspci | grep -owie "980]"

so the thing i was missing was the ]

i put the o in so i see the output

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    thanks for your stupid answer and obviously im not stupid as i solved it

and the reason as i post in multiple forums is to get everyones opinions hence why people post on forums

lspci | grep -owie "980]"

so the thing i was missing was the ]

i put the o in so i see the output
    yea. your so VERY smart someone had to hand you that on ANOTHER FORUM DIDNT THEY? your SO SMART that you couldnt figure out that you asked grep to find 980 and then got upset that IT FOUND IT.

keep digging moron. your spamming forums by posting the same crap everywhere, and never following up.

thank you i am smart

thank you i am smart
    you are? then why couldnt you read the man page on wget and understand it? why couldnt you figure out why it was doing what you told it to do? why did you have to post this same garbage on MANY forums asking the same stupid question?

and best of all, why did you then come back here and say that YOU figured it out, when THAT IS A LIE. someone else had to feed you the answer and your too stupid to realize that we SAW this happen on another forum.

dumbass

seriously mate give up, im still going to post on forums regardless on what you say

-->
    seriously mate give up, im still going to post on forums regardless on what you say
    and seriously give up, jackhole. people are going to point out your a spammer regardless of what you say

because thats exactly what you are. do you ever bother going back to all the other forums, after wandering around like a bum asking for a handout asking your questions, to post the SOLUTION you got on one? nope you just keep spamming.