Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I upgraded from Fedora 2 to 3 recently and I'm no longer able to bootup. When GUI comes up and shows kernel, I see 2.6.9-1. It then starts to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System will not bootup after Fedora 3 upgrade

I upgraded from Fedora 2 to 3 recently and I'm no longer able to bootup. When GUI comes up and shows kernel, I see 2.6.9-1. It then starts to do it's thingand enters setup. initializing hardware. then it shows ok,
    Then it shows configureing kernel parameters: and it doesn't go anywhere from there.

I'm restarted with Fedora 3 CD 1 and then do Linux Rescue, take out CD and reboot and it still stops at same place. I've also tried this with Fedora 2 CD 1 with same result.

How can I fix this?

Banned

Re: System will not bootup after Fedora 3 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by tommygunner
    I upgraded from Fedora 2 to 3 recently and I'm no longer able to bootup. When GUI comes up and shows kernel, I see 2.6.9-1. It then starts to do it's thingand enters setup. initializing hardware. then it shows ok,
    Then it shows configureing kernel parameters: and it doesn't go anywhere from there.

I'm restarted with Fedora 3 CD 1 and then do Linux Rescue, take out CD and reboot and it still stops at same place. I've also tried this with Fedora 2 CD 1 with same result.

How can I fix this?
    Are you using nvidia?(or any other 3th party module needed at boot time)

Linux Guru
    What exactly does the message say? Does it list any kernel parameters? Anything after the last "OK" is of interest. Other than not being able to boot, how did the upgrade go? Any problems or confusing choices?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    I have an Nvidia card in linux machine. I think the problem is that I may have had a atrpms kernel when I went to upgrade and that messed things up. I just need to figure out how to fix it now.

Just Joined!

Fedora 3 upgrade won't boot

Exact same happened to me yesterday, upgraded from FC2 with no apparent problems during install but boot hangs at " configuring kernel parameters". I tried rescue but the filesystem seemed like garbage (couldn't find inittab or anything else)
    I gave up and did a new install which is OK now (almost!). I also have an Nvidia card, this seems problematic with FC3, perhaps that was it.

Just Joined!
    There should be a way to bootup from CD bootdisk and run some commands to fix it. Fedora CD1 doesn't seem to really be a true boot disk because it tries to read stuff from HD. I'm thinking of making bootdisk CD restarting, re-install kernel and then rebooting. Anyone know of place to download good linux bootdisk?

Banned
    *boot from the installatin/rescue CD
    *mount your FC3 file system (chroot /mnt/sysimage)
    *update udev
    *reinstall the nvidia driver
    *type modprobe nvidia
    *type cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices

...and that's it [/b]

and from now on save your new kernel with a diffrent name and put a new entry in grub/lilo for it .....that way if your new kernel borks you will be able to atleast boot your old kernel

if you are doing your kernel and letting the system save it for you then change the name of the existing kernel so that it dosnt get overwritten then change grub/lilo to reflect this
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    *update udev
    *type modprobe nvidia

...and that's it [/b]
    Thanks for the tips. I did up to update udev. I am not sure how to do any of these things like installing software when I'm stuck in such a low runlevel and cannot run hardly anything. Wget seems to work, but up2date doesn't seem to work at apt-get doesn't either.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    *update udev
    *type modprobe nvidia

...and that's it [/b]
    Thanks for the tips. I did up to update udev. I am not sure how to do any of these things like installing software when I'm stuck in such a low runlevel and cannot run hardly anything. Wget seems to work, but up2date doesn't seem to work at apt-get doesn't either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast