Find the answer to your Linux question:
Linux Fourms, This morning I downloaded and installed the latest kernel avaliable (2.6.10-1.741_FC3) using yum update. I then installed the newest version of Ndiswrapper and made sure my wireless device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Audio Help - Audio not working after kernel upgrade.

Linux Fourms,

This morning I downloaded and installed the latest kernel avaliable (2.6.10-1.741_FC3) using yum update. I then installed the newest version of Ndiswrapper and made sure my wireless device was configured.

I rebooted and had no problems at all. I surfed the web and then I opened XMMS. I wanted to listen to some music. I selected one of the mp3's from my playlist and it began to play on XMMS but no audio came out of my speakers.

I checked to see if the audio cord was plugged into the jack on the back of the computer and also made sure that the volume was turned up. Still nothing.. So I tried a quick reboot still didn't help.

I have both OSS and ASLA installed (these were installed by default) and opened the command line and tried this,

Code:
    root@kansas_sucks (/home/jordie) /dev/random > /dev/dsp
    and still didn't hear anything at all. Does anyone know what this problem is and how can I fix it? I am still in the process of learning advanced Linux and am not very familar with the audio part of it yet.

Here is some additional information about my box.

Code:
    jordie@kansas_sucks (~) uname -a
    Linux kansas_sucks 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 #1 Thu Jan 13 16:38:22 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    jordie@kansas_sucks (~) perl ~/.xchat2/yasis-2.6.pl -a
    [OS] Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg); Kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 :: [Uptime] 22 min :: [CPU] 1-Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.20GHz @ 2194MHz (128 KB) (9% load) ::  [Video] Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device @ 1024x768 (24 bit) :: [Disk] 6.55G Used, 37.29G Total (77% Free) :: [Network] Unknown Device (wlan0) (Total: 0.00M In, 0.00M Out)
    jordie@kansas_sucks (~)
    Thanks,

Jordie

Just Joined!
    try to run kmixer or kmix not sure what the exact name is. Tweak it abit that's how I got mine working.

Just Joined!
    I am under Gnome and I already have ran the system mixer and made sure all the volumes were not muted -- as they are by default for some strange reason on Fedora.

See look at the following screenshot I took while under kde.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordie
    I am under Gnome and I already have ran the system mixer and made sure all the volumes were not muted -- as they are by default for some strange reason on Fedora.
    That's not Fedora, that's Alsa that starts em muted. Try using alsamixer from the command line to check and make sure your mixer is setting volumes and all right. Also, try using alsaplayer to play something to see if that will do it. If you can't get anything working, you might see what the docs at http://alsa-project.org have for your sound card.

Just Joined!
    Alright I launched alsamixer and got the following,

It seems as if everything is turned up as it should be? XMMS is playing the music but nothing comes out of my speakers. I know my sound card is configured and all. It worked before the Kernel upgrade so what now?

Just Joined!

Sound problems with Abit KV8 MAX3

Hi.

I am realy new to Linux. Have worked with redhat before, but it is little time a go...

I have problems with my Abit KV8 MAX3 motherboard with the integrated sound-card. I uses the SPDIF out. Fedora tells me tthat everything is ok, but I have no sound. Any Ideas

Thanx In advance.

Best Regards
    Richard

Just Joined!

Re: Sound problems with Abit KV8 MAX3

Quote Originally Posted by rich1974
    Hi.

I am realy new to Linux. Have worked with redhat before, but it is little time a go...

I have problems with my Abit KV8 MAX3 motherboard with the integrated sound-card. I uses the SPDIF out. Fedora tells me tthat everything is ok, but I have no sound. Any Ideas

Thanx In advance.

Best Regards
    Richard
    If you upgraded the kernel you can always go back to the previous version at boot time.

Also, you could disable the onboard sound in the bios, remove the configuration at boot time, then re-enable it in the bios and let it load the new drivers.