Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
yeah, was a huge shock to everyone, who would of thought a 26 year old would die of heart failure I guess no male on his fathers side has lived ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

yeah, was a huge shock to everyone, who would of thought a 26 year old would die of heart failure I guess no male on his fathers side has lived past the age of 40. been a rough week.. just feel horrible for his wife and son.

Let me know if you need anything. Are the wife and kids ok do they have family to lean on?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    yeah, michaels wife and son have family and alot of good friends for support.

again, thanks for the help on resetting the root pw.. fuzzbal's guild members really appreciate it also!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by doox00
    got it! thanks for the all help
    Can you share your solution? Your previous post says you were stuck in read-only mode, so what changed?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    basically I did what houscous suggested

kernel /vmlinuz-xxxx xxxxxx single

in grub loader I edited the line that starts with kernel and added single at the end. booted up and that gave me read/write access. method I was booting up before was only getting me read only access.

removed the x from /etc/passwd file after root. saved it, restarted back in single user mode. changed the root pw by just using the passwd command. when I went to edit passwd file again to put the x back in, it was already there.. so did nothing to that file.. restarted normally and root pw had been changed.

Linux Guru
    Great. Thanks very much. It's tough spending all day in front of a Windows box and not being able to check these things out first hand.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Great. Thanks very much. It's tough spending all day in front of a Windows box and not being able to check these things out first hand.
    Since this thread is over I want to comment on this quote.
    I feel sorry for you, but here is a suggestion if you are alowed. Download cygwin (complete) Then you can play with linux on you windows box and no one will be the wiser hehe. I successfully got windowmaker to run in cygwin. I am allowed to have a linux box along with my windows box at work so I am lucky. I use cygwin when I am not allowed to have a Linux box.
    Check it out
    www.cygwin.com
    sorry I went to get the URL and they seem to be down now, but keep checking back till the come back up

Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    I have not personally used that one, I have messed with and got vmware working in the past though.. pretty neat stuff.

Linux Guru
    Thanks for the sympathy, adrenaline. "if I'm allowed": more like, as long as they don't know what it is! I've got cygwin and I think it's cool, but I don't use it alot yet. I just found a link that gives some tips on customizing it. When I have time I want to install vim. I'll definitly have to look into Windowmaker!
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Linux Newbie
    I have a Linux live-cd version called slax. It is only around 200MB, and I burn it on a mini disk. When I need to use linux somewhere else, and I don't have time to install or I am not allowed to install a version of linux, I just insert that mini disk and everything will be running fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast