Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
hey all, a friend of mine passed away last week. he ran a linux red hat enterprise server that is hosted at my place of employment. I have physical access ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

recover root password

hey all, a friend of mine passed away last week. he ran a linux red hat enterprise server that is hosted at my place of employment. I have physical access to the box, problem is noone knows the root pw for the box. is there a way to get root access? my buddy ran a popular everquest guild and years of forum database etc are on that box. the guild is still going, another member is taking over administration of the box.. but like I said.. noone knows the root pw. do we have any hope of gaining access?

thanks

Linux Newbie
    very sorry about your friend.

reboot the server, enter single user mode (grub or lilo?) during the boot up. go to /etc/passwd, remove x in the line root:..... save it and exit. reboot again, enter the single mode also, use command passwd to reset the password for root, add x back to where you delete it. save it and exit. and that's how it is done.

Linux Newbie
    I believe that it can be changed in single user mode. I'm not sure exactly how though.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HOUSCOUS
    very sorry about your friend.

reboot the server, enter single user mode (grub or lilo?) during the boot up. go to /etc/passwd, remove x in the line root:..... save it and exit. reboot again, enter the single mode also, use command passwd to reset the password for root, add x back to where you delete it. save it and exit. and that's how it is done.
    its grub. problem is I am not very good with linux.. so not sure how to enter single user mode.. how do I do this exactly?

thanks again.

Linux Newbie
    when booting up, press e when grub shows, add single after the line like following:

kernel /vmlinuz-xxxx xxxxxx single

save it and return to grub then boot.

Linux Newbie
    btw, your friend might setup the password for grub, too (like i do), so if that happens, you might need to use a rescure disk.

Just Joined!
    I think I got it into mode 1... someone else mentioned to add init=/bin/bash at the end of the kernel line in the grub eidt stuffs.. did that.. boots.. at an init2.05 or something other prompt.. and see the file system.. problem is read only though.. tried to editing the passwd file.. read only.. how do I have write access to remote the out the passwd file after the root username?

thanks again.

Just Joined!
    got it! thanks for the all help

That is really sad about your friend.
    Sincerely,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    Sorry about your friend

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast