Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a FAT32 shared partition on my box, and I don't have write permissions on it outside of root. I've tried chmod og+wrx /shared and chmod a+wrx /shared, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Write Permissions

I have a FAT32 shared partition on my box, and I don't have write permissions on it outside of root. I've tried chmod og+wrx /shared and chmod a+wrx /shared, but neither worked. Instead, I not only didn't get write permissions, but actually lost read permissions. Using the GUI version doesn't help, since I'll check off permissions for both group and others, and it reverts as soon as I click OK. I've tried this as both root and su inside the user I wanted to give permissions to, but nothing works. It's now listed as "forbidden" for everyone except root. Thanks in advance.

As root, try:
    Code:
    chmod 755 -R /shared

Just Joined!
    That gave me read permissions...but once I leave the GUI they go away again, and I have to retype the command. Is there a way to give myself permanent permissions? Also I still don't have write permissions. Thanks a bunch though!

weird.....but i remember something like this in suse *loft306 smacks self with kb trying to shake thought loose
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    check out this thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/top...tml&highlight=

I ran into the same problem trying to sync firefox bookmarks on the windows and linux sides. The answer lies in editing your fstab. It should be pretty easy if you look in the man page. I'm on the windows side of my machine right now, so I can't check

Just Joined!

Smile

Simlar problem here:
    Under root account I made FAT32 partition. Everything worked ok. When I logon with unprivilaged account I can access the disk read-only.
    I could not change the permission with chmod. With parameter -v it said that permissions are changed, but it didn't.
    When I loged on with root account and tried to change permissions with graphical tool (in Nautilis) it said I didn't had permissions to do that in FAT (like there is anyone else more cool in LInux world )
    Interesting enough, I had no problems of such kind in NTFS.

I have Fedora Core 6
    Kernel 2.6.19.what's.his.name

P.S. As far as I can remember, there are no permission system of any kind under FAT

Just Joined!
    someone that is having this problem can you please paste a copy of your fstab file and the output of mount

Just Joined!
    Mounting:
    [ego@atlas ~]$ sudo mount -v -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /home/ego/Desktop/fat/
    /dev/hdb1 on /home/ego/Desktop/fat type vfat (rw)

Fstab:
    [ego@atlas ~]$ vi /etc/fstab

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    LABEL=SWAP-sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0