Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, yeah, I'm a newbie, but I've read all the info I can find on this. I have followed all the sourceforge documents on installing and mounting the ntfs filesystem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble installing and mounting ntfs filesystem in FC3

Hi,

yeah, I'm a newbie, but I've read all the info I can find on this. I have followed all the sourceforge documents on installing and mounting the ntfs filesystem in FC3, but nothing has worked. The problem I get is after I install the rpm, i try to run
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe ntfs
    but it says
    Code:
    FATAL: Module ntfs not found.
    I have checked and double-checked all of my steps against the sourceforge instructions and any info I have read in threads. the rpm i have downloaded and installed matches my kernel version, except for the fact that I am running 16 K stack size (whatever that means, I'm a newbie). This is the only thing I can think of that would be causing my problems.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I have read that I should recompile my kernel, but I would rather try all other ideas first. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    I know this isn't going to be of much help to you, but I've always heard that you need to recompile the kernel to get ntfs support to work (if then) as it's a very iffy and dangerous setup. Well at least to try to mount it read/write. Read-only is safer, but I thought still required a recompile of the kernel with the patch.

Banned
    If you don't like recompiling your kernel, you can use a module for it:
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html
    (It has very easy instructions as well.)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    If you don't like recompiling your kernel, you can use a module for it:
    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html
    (It has very easy instructions as well.)
    Thanks for the help. I've already installed the correct module from that site. but once I have the package installed, I try to un "/sbin/modprobe ntfs" as per the instructions, but I get the error I have posted above. I have also followed all instructions located at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/help.html#unres. Any other ideas?

Banned
    So you tried both their fixes?
    I noticed you only posted doing /sbin/modprobe ntfs ...
    Did you try doing /sbin/depmod -a before that?

Did also you tried their second trick?
    Code:
    cd /
    rpm2cpio X | cpio -id
    /sbin/depmod -a
    /sbin/modprobe ntfs
    If none of this worked your module might not be configured at all...
    Type
    Code:
    cat /proc/filesystems
    and see if ntfs is listed (or post the output here).

You're also sure you picked the right RPM?
    Code:
    uname -r -m
    should give you all the info.

PS: Did you do the modprobe as 'root'?

Linux Newbie
    I have successfully installed the ntfs module from this site for FC2, and although the instructions also say to load the module, I found it was possible to skip this step and simply do
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/ntfs
    This will need to be done as root, but if it works you can configure /etc/fstab to allow other users to mount the drive.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Just Joined!
    you can also check if the modules is up and running by using
    Code:
    lsmod

Just Joined!
    I am getting the exact same thing. I have tried all their fixes, the RPM one tells me that the package is already installed but when i do a modprobe -l the module is not listed. What else can i check for.

Linux Enthusiast
    How can you have a different stack size if it's the same kernel?... I can only think you recompiled the kernel already, thus the RPM module won't work.
    Recompiling the kernel is a better method anyways, as there are two versions of the NTFS module, and the RPMs for Fedora Core are the first version, which provide risky read-only support.
    The second version, present in newer kernels by recompling (enabling the NTFS module this time) had 100% safe read-only support, and pretty safe (but limited to the point of uselessness) write support.
    By limited, I mean you can only write to an existing file without changing the file size. You can't move, delete, change the size of, or create any files/folders. Translation: Useless write support.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    OK I managed to solve my problem. Just remember that if you are using a processor with hyperthreading technology that you need to install the multiprocessor version. That was my problem.