Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, im trying to watch a DivX file i got (american dad) and i dont exactly know how to work the codec, or what video player i should use. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DivX??Mplayer??

Hey guys,

im trying to watch a DivX file i got (american dad) and i dont exactly know how to work the codec, or what video player i should use. I havent been able to install Mplayer so i figure its gonna be h*** trying to install a DivX thing. Im running fedora Core 3

Any help with the DivX codec/player would be awesome

same if you have had problems installling Mplayer before as well!

thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    mplayer is by _far_ the best divx player for linux, so it would probably be best to figure out what's wrong with it and install it, so, what exactly was the problem during install. You will probably also need to download the mplayer codecs, and install divx, (I think it's a prog or libs or something ) from the fedora CD's or DVD.

download this http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/rel...050216.tar.bz2
    extract, rename win32 and move to /usr/lib/
    you actually don't need mplayer if you don't wont to. It will work with xine, totem, etc...
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the codecs and put them in /usr/lib/ but mplayer still won't play anything (except .wmv & .asf files seem to work), any ideas? Do I have to do something to tell mplayer where to find the codecs?

Also, how do I make a certain program the default app to play a certain filetype because xine is trying to play wmv files when I click on them and that isn't working for some of them but since mplayer will play those I want to default to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth
    I downloaded the codecs and put them in /usr/lib/ but mplayer still won't play anything (except .wmv & .asf files seem to work), any ideas? Do I have to do something to tell mplayer where to find the codecs?
    you have to install the codecs before you install mplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth
    Also, how do I make a certain program the default app to play a certain filetype because xine is trying to play wmv files when I click on them and that isn't working for some of them but since mplayer will play those I want to default to it.
    what distro are you using? what wm/dm are you using?
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I uninstalled mplayer and reinstalled it and its working much better now for most media files.

I'm using fedora core 3 64bit with gnome.

Just Joined!
    It won't play dvds however. It says: "Can't open VMG info" when I try.

Just Joined!
    Nevermind about the dvd playing, I figured it out.
    Fedora set up my dvd drives by default when it installed and they accessed regular data off cds and dvds fine so I thought they were mounted ok but it had them set up in /media/cdrecorder and /media/cdrom... I set a normal mount point for one as /mnt/dvd and now it plays dvds great That's not going to mess something up if I go to write a cd now is it?