Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed glib2.6.2 by following below instructions %gzip -cd glib-2.6.2.tar.gz | tar xvf - %cd glib-2.6.2 %./configure %make [ Become root if necessary ] %rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h /install-prefix/include/gmodule.h %make ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install the newer version of glib but it shows the old one

I just installed glib2.6.2 by following below instructions

%gzip -cd glib-2.6.2.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    %cd glib-2.6.2
    %./configure
    %make

[ Become root if necessary ]
    %rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h /install-prefix/include/gmodule.h
    %make install

But after installing the version is still showing the old one.

# glib-config --version

How could it be? any idea?

Linux Enthusiast
    All things under redhat must be installed in /usr, at least that's the easiest way to get it to work in this case. You can do this by adding the --prefix option when you execute the configure script:
    Code:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    This will install glib in /usr/lib rather than /usr/local/lib, hence removing the old version and updating to the new.

Just Joined!
    I just tried by giving --prefix=/usr but still doesn't work

Linux Engineer
    Things are in no way required to be installed in /usr. Things can be installed anywhere you want, so long as the proper variables and things are set up for it. It could be that you need to change some symlinks in /usr/lib to point to the new libs, but if that's not it then there are 2 options. The first, is to completely uninstall the older glib, though that could possibly break some things. Then install the new one again. The second option is to install to another place besides /usr (or wherever the older glib is). Say you install it to /usr/local, make sure /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig comes before /usr/lib/pkg-config in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, or completely remove /usr/lib/pkgconfig from it if nessecary, then try installing again.

Just Joined!
    Or perhaps you are missing some dependencies required for the latest version of glib. Make sure you have the latest updates for whatever version of Linux you are using.

Banned
    This is why I always build an RPM myself if I can't find one in my repos. Next you can just use the RPM tools to update and solve all dependencies with Apt or Yum.
    Building RPMS:
    http://fedora.redhat.com/participate...-building.html

Just Joined!
    Hey jens! Think it was you who told me a command to update RH9 from the web site. Just been to that thread and it won't let me past page 1 on it. Could you remind me of what the command was again please. It started something like: -

get http://rh9...........

Cheers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimslyp69
    Hey jens! Think it was you who told me a command to update RH9 from the web site. Just been to that thread and it won't let me past page 1 on it. Could you remind me of what the command was again please. It started something like: -

get http://rh9...........

Cheers.
    Download Apt from DAG:
    http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/a...9.dag.i386.rpm

as root:
    rpm -Uvh apt-0.5.15cnc6-3.0.rh9.dag.i386.rpm
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

If you like a graphical interface for it:
    apt-get install synaptic

Just Joined!
    Ta very much.