Find the answer to your Linux question:
I Have Proliant CL380 2 cpu 2Gb memory Linuh RH 7.3 INFORMIX 9.21 Today Kernel 2.4.18-3smp was upgraded to 2.4.20-28.7smp. ( ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i...-28.7.i686.rpm ) After that if I run a lot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Rod
    Just Joined!

kernel 2.4.20-28.7 & cpu load

I Have Proliant CL380
    2 cpu
    2Gb memory

Linuh RH 7.3
    INFORMIX 9.21

Today Kernel 2.4.18-3smp was upgraded to 2.4.20-28.7smp.
    (ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i...-28.7.i686.rpm)
    After that
    if I run a lot of process on Informix cpu idle very degrade.
    And I cant do something, for example I cant read file.
    But if I run a lot of process under kernel 2.4.18-3smp I CAN read file
    and other tasks, although cpu idle = 0.2%. Why new kernel is worse than 2.4.18-3smp ?

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    First of all, you _really_ need to upgrade distros, you should probably try Fedora if you want to stick with redhat. Secondly, you should also _really_ upgrade to a 2.6 kernel, but, if you insist on sticking with the older 2.4 kernel, you should try reconfiguring and compiling the kernel manually, and I suggest using the vanilla kernel rather than the redhat or smp or whatever that is. One config option that you should really look out for in this case is the parrallel processor option, which I believe defaults to 8 on the 2.6 kernels, you should change this to 2, assuming that's how many you have, although I don't even know if this option exists in 2.4 kernels, and regardless, 2.6 code had been upgraded to handle more processors, it would probably be able to handle your multi-processor machine a lot better than the older one