Find the answer to your Linux question:
hmm is it ok to just hit the power button on the front of my box to shut it down it is ATX and not at (i know its bad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

3....2....1... shutdown NOW!

hmm is it ok to just hit the power button on the front of my box to shut it down
    it is ATX and not at (i know its bad for at as it just switches off)
    when i press it it comes up root has issued shuttdown, then shutsdown like norm so i think its ok
    just checkin

Linux Guru
    ACPI/APM is probably catching the power button event and issueing a shutdown command in it's place. It should be okay, but what if someday, by some random occurrnce, ACPID fails?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Banned
    it wouldnt shut down?

Linux Guru
    I would think that acpid wouldn't catch the event and instead just shut off like unplugging it. But who knows?

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    I would think that acpid wouldn't catch the event and instead just shut off like unplugging it. But who knows?
    I think if acpid didn't catch it, it just wouldn't shut down. I'm pretty sure that if I hit my power button momentarily, that it would not kill power. I've never tried when things were normal, so I don't know if it would go through the normal shutdown routine, but I'll find out. To kill it fast, I'd have to hold the button for I think 4 seconds. Now I'm curious as to where that delay circuitry is, in the power supply or mother board?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Now I'm curious as to where that delay circuitry is, in the power supply or mother board?
    Motherboard, it's all part of the atx design

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by valan
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Now I'm curious as to where that delay circuitry is, in the power supply or mother board?
    Motherboard, it's all part of the atx design
    in AT comps its in the psu, hence why the just cut off

Just Joined!

softbutton in BIOS

Hi all!

I just was playing with a celeron laying on an motherboard without a casing.

So, in order to turn it on and off, I had to short the "pwr bttn" pins on the motherboard.

To turn it on, just short it once, to turn it of, depending on BIOS settings short longer or shorter:
    - softbutton off directly: just short circuit the pins for a moment
    - softbutton 4 second delay: short circuit long time (seems over 4 seconds to me)

Anyway, I set the BIOS to "power-on key-sequence" and that didn't work. After that, shorting the power-button pins on the motherboard would give no life either. It would function again after resetting the CMOS. I just wonder if that is a result of not having the casing, but I doubt it. Maybe just an old mobo :-)

I have a concern for my workstation though: no matter how I turn it of, it will just reset if I don't do a "hard power-off" by pressing the button long enough. Anyone any thoughts on that? It has been doing that since win98 years ago, through win2000, winxp, beos, FC1-2-3. I can't find what's causing it.

I am looking forward to any light to be shed on my own problem, and hope the rest will be of help to you

Linux Newbie

Re: 3....2....1... shutdown NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_dressed_in_black
    hmm is it ok to just hit the power button on the front of my box to shut it down
    it is ATX and not at (i know its bad for at as it just switches off)
    when i press it it comes up root has issued shuttdown, then shutsdown like norm so i think its ok
    just checkin
    If you wanna shut down your linux box type in a terminal: halt. It will shutdown the system right on.