Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I am a Linux Newbie who is currently not happy. I have finally managed to get my printer and auio working, but now my internet does not seem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet problems

Hey, I am a Linux Newbie who is currently not happy.

I have finally managed to get my printer and auio working, but now my internet does not seem to work.

I tried to configure the internet according to the directions the distro came with, but to no avail. I cannot seem to get a connection. I suspect it may have to do with the fact that the OS is not detecting my modem.

Just Joined!
    You might be rifgt about the modem. Alongside video adaptors they are very tricky to find drivers for. If it is an internal modem then you have little chance of finding a compatible modem. Your best bet is to buy an external modem but, check your distro's HCL(hardware compatability list) first.

Linux Newbie

Need more info

Please state what distro you are using and what modem you have. Also what internet browser are you using?

To check wether your modem is detected by the OS and to check the chipset (not model, the chipsate is the same in many models so you can get a universal driver) open a terminal window and type:

/sbin/lspci

If a modem is detected please state all details here
    If you don't know which one is the modem (there are several lines) then state the lot here
    If the comand is not recognized then try:

lspci -v

Linux Newbie
    Also, on a different computer, google to see if there is a driver website for the manufacturere of ur modem. Installling that is the only thing that got mine working.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...