Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy. Can anyone telll me where i'm going wrong with this. I've completely updated my RH9, installed TCL and then installed aMSN. I've got this icon on my desk top ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fed up with aMSN.

Howdy. Can anyone telll me where i'm going wrong with this. I've completely updated my RH9, installed TCL and then installed aMSN. I've got this icon on my desk top but it is dormant. Any ideas anyone???

Linux Newbie

Partial Answer + Question

Delete the icon
    To start AMSN open a terminal window and type amsn , I don't know how to create an icon yet so can someone tell me that?[/b] By the way it takes a few seconds, and also if you close the termanal window, the amsn window closes aswell, anyone know how to change this?

Another option is to use GAIM messanger, it is installed by defult with FC3 normal installation. To open, open a termanal window and type gaim , this opens gaim and you can then close the termanal window without closing the program.

Just Joined!
    Okay. Will try that. I did have the icon working once but it wouldn't authenticate me. But don't ask me how. It was something i did whilst trrying to install some dependencies. A bit of a fluke.

Linux Newbie
    To create a link to an application, in KDE, Right click the desktop on some open area. Click Create New --> Link to an Application. It should open a tabbed panel to fill in. On teh General tab, type over Link to Application with what ever you want to call the new link. You will see a gear icon. If you click that, you can select the icon you want. Most distros supply some. There are thousands available from the web. The Permissions tab will control who can execute the application. Check the boxes as appropriate. On the Execute tab, this is where you specify the script, or binary you want to execute. Note you can browse... to the application. If you do, click on teh executable, it will fill in the command line. There is a tab for specifying file types for this application to work with.

Click OK, you are done. You should now have the new icon on your desktop.

Hope this gets you going.

Or, look here and here.

Linux Newbie

Cheers

Thanks m8, that worked 4 me. In Gnome I found it to be right click ->create launcher.

Just Joined!
    Well i've typed amsn in the run dialogue thing and it just says application unknown.

Just Joined!
    And in the terminal window too and it says command not found.

maybe you dont have amsn installed if it says command not found
    If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane--Jimmy Buffett

Registered Linux user # 376962

Linux Engineer

Re: Partial Answer + Question

Yeah, it sounds like yo don't have it installed. And
    Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    also if you close the termanal window, the amsn window closes aswell, anyone know how to change this?
    use the "&" as follows
    Code:
    amsn&

Linux Newbie

Another Soulution

It could also be that you don't have libtk installled. Run the rpm again and see if it detects any missing packages.