Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I'v reinstalled fedora, I've been told, when I update that I should NOT use up2date to update the kernal. My question is which files do I skip so that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 3 Up2date

Well I'v reinstalled fedora, I've been told, when I update that I should NOT use up2date to update the kernal.

My question is which files do I skip so that the kernal insn't updated?

Linux Newbie

Answer + Related problem

In FC3 when you run up2date for the first time it opens a program that lets you select what you want to update. Select everything as it automatically skips the kernel. When you click next it opens a programme with the red hat icon in the top right corner. Follow the steps, and there are two steps where you chose updates to install. One section contains two files -kernal and kernal updates - so for this one you don't select either, and then on the next step there are hundreds of files to choose to update and I recomend you update them all. Be advised though that contary to the file sizes of updates shown in the programme of 0-2kb they are actually large filles, OpenOfiice.org being the biggest at over 110mb. It took me 4 hours to download the lot at 512kb/s.

'' Also be aware that with the amount of downloads available on a fresh install, the program appears to have crashed several times where you can wait for 10minutes with nothing appearing to happen. Just let it continue and don't run any procceser intensive tasks such as dvd playback while up2date is installing the updates. [/code]

Just Joined!

Re: Answer + Related problem

Is the kernal something that I should be concerned about updating?