Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed fedora core 1 on my laptop and i want to use core 3. do i just download and burn to cd's and put the disk in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

core 1 to cor 3

i just installed fedora core 1 on my laptop and i want to use core 3. do i just download and burn to cd's and put the disk in the drive and reboot? is there an upgrade procedure?

Banned

Re: core 1 to cor 3

Quote Originally Posted by seanb
    i just installed fedora core 1 on my laptop and i want to use core 3. do i just download and burn to cd's and put the disk in the drive and reboot? is there an upgrade procedure?
    It's possible, but I don't recommend doing so...
    Their are to many changes between them.
    Better do a fresh install (unless you really know what you're doing).

Linux Newbie

Re: core 1 to cor 3

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    It's possible, but I don't recommend doing so...
    Their are to many changes between them.
    Better do a fresh install (unless you really know what you're doing).
    well what i meant to ask is can i just write over core 1? I litteraly just installed core 1 so i dont have anything on it

Linux Newbie
    i'm with jens on this one. it would be better to do a clean install (remove fc1first) so that no unexpected problems arise. in therory none sould anyway, but reality isn't always that great. besides if you just put fc1 on then it really isn't a big issue to remove it (no backups needed).

But of course it is your laptop you may do what you want.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    i'm with jens on this one. it would be better to do a clean install (remove fc1first) so that no unexpected problems arise. in therory none sould anyway, but reality isn't always that great. besides if you just put fc1 on then it really isn't a big issue to remove it (no backups needed).

But of course it is your laptop you may do what you want.
    i dont think i am going to do anything- i cant get a copy of core 3 to work. i ahve tried downloading and burning several times, i tried burning at different speeds, i dont know what to do other than try to use one of the copies that comes with a Fedora book. i made sure that i was burning an iso image but when i reboot the computer nothing happens, it just goes right to the regular boot manager. I went through this last week as well. For some reason my system is not seeing these disks when i boot. any tips for downloading and burnig? i am pretty new at this and prhaps i am doing something wrong

Linux Newbie
    for burning: have you completed the burn? either way run a md5sum on the iso file to make sure it wasn't currupted in download. (compare with the md5 on website). it is also possible to buy the cd if you wish to consider that.

for booting: check the bios (enter with the del or f1 , maybe f2) and check the boot order if the cdrom is after primary disc it will never boot of the cd until you change it.

send us the results

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    for burning: have you completed the burn? either way run a md5sum on the iso file to make sure it wasn't currupted in download. (compare with the md5 on website). it is also possible to buy the cd if you wish to consider that.

for booting: check the bios (enter with the del or f1 , maybe f2) and check the boot order if the cdrom is after primary disc it will never boot of the cd until you change it.

send us the results
    CD-ROM boots first, thats how i loaded core 1 and SuSE before that. i will probably just buy the disks to save myself some time

Linux Newbie
    i went from 2 to 3 and there is an update procedure, on the disks, make sure your burning them as an iso disk there are only a limited number of ISO burners for free. try maybe burn 4 free. burn4free.com. It has an iso burner. hope this helps.
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

Linux Newbie
    o yes, an easier way to check to see if the burn was completed correctly : look at the disc and see if there are files on it.

and a suggestion to try. see if you can start the installation from disc 2 (3 or 4) instead of one. of course it will ask for 1 but it will have started the installation.

also there might be a floppy you can make that starts the installation.

i'd rather do that then pay for cd's that likey have the same problem. (which is why i asked you to check them.

hope you get this working soon.

Banned

i dont think i am going to do anything- i cant get a copy of core 3 to work. i ahve tried downloading and burning several times, i tried burning at different speeds, i dont know what to do other than try to use one of the copies that comes with a Fedora book. i made sure that i was burning an iso image but when i reboot the computer nothing happens, it just goes right to the regular boot manager. I went through this last week as well. For some reason my system is not seeing these disks when i boot. any tips for downloading and burnig? i am pretty new at this and prhaps i am doing something wrong
    Try the SBM floppy(Smart Boot Manager):
    http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm