Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Just installed Fedora Core 3, my first foray into the Linux world. I've had a few issues of course but this topic is about screen resolution. Anything above ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stuck with 800 x 600 Screen Resolution

Hi folks,
    Just installed Fedora Core 3, my first foray into the Linux world. I've had a few issues of course but this topic is about screen resolution.

Anything above 800 x 600 gives me a tiled screen with deformed windows. I don't know too much about hardware but I'm guessing that this might be a problem with the graphics card driver rather than the OS. How do I know what version of the driver I've got and if its the right one or not? I think I've got the Gnome2 windowing system but again, I don't know how to tell for sure.

I suppose I can live with 800 x 600 but some applications (Thunderbird) provide dialogues that are too big for the screen, are not resizable and I can't see the buttons at the bottom of the window.

Any help is much appreciated.

Linux Newbie

Morning

Try KDE, I prefer it. TO switch between Gnome and Kde, on the loginscree click on sesion and then KDE. If you dont have it then run System Settings -> add/remove applications and do a costom install and select KDE. Also, what graphics card do you have,type /sbin/lspci in a terminal window and see if the card matches the 'vga compatible controller' shown. Since you are new to Fedora I suggest getting the book 'Red Hat Fedora Linux 3 Bible' by Christopher Negus and this whould help you with any problems.

Also, In Gnome, do you use Applications ->system settings -> display to change resolution or Applications -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution. Try both

Linux Newbie

Morning

Try KDE, I prefer it. TO switch between Gnome and Kde, on the loginscree click on sesion and then KDE. If you dont have it then run System Settings -> add/remove applications and do a costom install and select KDE. Also, what graphics card do you have,type /sbin/lspci in a terminal window and see if the card matches the 'vga compatible controller' shown. Since you are new to Fedora I suggest getting the book 'Red Hat Fedora Linux 3 Bible' by Christopher Negus and this whould help you with any problems.

Also, In Gnome, do you use Applications ->system settings -> display to change resolution or Applications -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution. Try both

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Sorted!!

Thanks for the help Alan.

I was looking in the Applications -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution menu and it wasn't giving me any joy.

I had a look at the Applications -> system settings -> display menu as you suggested and found that, under the hardware tab, my monitor was not configured. That dialogue allowed me to specify generic LCD and provide the resolution of the monitor.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.