Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to install Fedora Core 3 kernel update nad kernel tools update but I don't know how to do this as upp2date obviously cannot do this. Please can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Fedora 3 Kernel Update

Hi, I want to install Fedora Core 3 kernel update nad kernel tools update but I don't know how to do this as upp2date obviously cannot do this. Please can someone explain how to do this to me. Also, the kernel update suggested for me is arch i686 and this suits my processor best I think as I have a PIII 450mhz, however all my other linux software is in arc i386 so would this be the wrong update to use? Thanks, Alan

Just Joined!

Re: Fedora 3 Kernel Update

Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    Hi, I want to install Fedora Core 3 kernel update nad kernel tools update but I don't know how to do this as upp2date obviously cannot do this. Please can someone explain how to do this to me.
    try:
    Code:
    yum upgrade kernel
    then reboot.
    Also, the kernel update suggested for me is arch i686 and this suits my processor best I think as I have a PIII 450mhz, however all my other linux software is in arc i386 so would this be the wrong update to use? Thanks, Alan
    No, it will be fine.

Linux Enthusiast
    I know that up2date will update the kernel automatically, as I have done this before, but you first need to wait for redhat to release a kernel rpm as an update . If you want, you can also go here to download the kernel tarball and compile it manually. You should also be able to find some good instruction on compiling it here as this post was submitted by a good friend of mine.

Linux Newbie

Thanks

Cheers, do you meen that the kernel can be safely updated from up2date then?

Just Joined!

Re: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alancooney
    Cheers, do you meen that the kernel can be safely updated from up2date then?
    Yes, as long as there is an rpm available, you can update it with yum or up2date. It will leave the old kernel there as a fallback and should give you both as options on your grub menu (assuming that's the bootloader you use), and it will default to the new kernel upon reboot. if you have any problems, you can try working them out, or just rollback to the current kernel you have, knowing that at least it provides basic functionality to fix any issues.

Linux Newbie

Kernel Updated!

Thanks, that worked as Ive just finished updating the Kernell sucessfully using up2date.