Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was just sitting here at a different computer and my laptop running redhat just rebooted for no reason. Could someone please remind how and why Linux is more stable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Mysterious Reboot

i was just sitting here at a different computer and my laptop running redhat just rebooted for no reason. Could someone please remind how and why Linux is more stable than Windows? i am starting to wonder....

Just Joined!

Re: Mysterious Reboot

Quote Originally Posted by seanb
    redhat just rebooted for no reason
    You know, I know and the world knows that your PC cannot reboot without a reason.

Linux is stable, and even if an application fails it's very unlikely to stop others. It is designed to take the most hardcore hits, where as Windows will crash if a program that is tied to the kernel crashes. Linux servers run for over 6 months without any crashes -- can you imagine that in Windows?

Linux Newbie
    i dont know man.... i really want to learn more, but i have never seen anything fall apart as easily as Fedora or SuSE. i mean its unreal,it cant even download updates without locking up, OpenOffice brings the whole system down! in fact have the time i try to log out the system freezes!
    dont get me wrong, i am not going to give up. but you cant say that Fedora runs as smooth as XP with a straight face. it just isnt true

i wont even go into the boot time.. thats a freaking joke. XP or Mac OS X can boot ANDshut down in half the time it takes Fedora just to get into the login screen.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    seanb, haw much memory do you have? and how much SWAP space? it sounds like you are running out of memory;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb
    i dont know man.... i really want to learn more, but i have never seen anything fall apart as easily as Fedora or SuSE. i mean its unreal,it cant even download updates without locking up, OpenOffice brings the whole system down! in fact have the time i try to log out the system freezes!
    dont get me wrong, i am not going to give up. but you cant say that Fedora runs as smooth as XP with a straight face. it just isnt true

i wont even go into the boot time.. thats a freaking joke. XP or Mac OS X can boot ANDshut down in half the time it takes Fedora just to get into the login screen.
    Hi man! I started using Linux recently. And I'm wondering why
    should I do all that low-level operations myself to make this
    system working!!! To install something is a nightmare...and it is successul
    very seldom. After all I want to use the good OS not to configure
    it all the time...

tfk
    Linux Newbie
    Basically, I aggree to Russell. But it's more like, "_If_ it's stable it will _stay_ stable". If you have a stable Linux, it won't get unstable.

A fresh install doesn't garant stability. The kernel has still some incompatibilities with some hardware, especially on notebooks. I used FC3 once, it was not stable. Then I did a from-Scratch Linux installation without influence of some distributor, and it is _perfectly_ stable. FC3 is _not_ the stablest Linux distribution out there.

Do _not_ think Fedora equals Linux! Linux itself is only the kernel, mostly used with the GNU operating environment. It is impossible to say that it is stable on every possible hardware configuration out there; But it is proven that it is stable on almost all systems.

VIA systems, for example. The kernel has to be compiled with a special parameter to make sure that it runs fine on VIA processors. The FC3 kernel is apparently not compiled optimized for VIA systems; It kept crashing, while FC2 ran wonderful smooth on the system without the kernel parameter. See, if Red Hat or SuSE makes a distro which is not stable on your system, it is most likely the 'fault' of Red Hat, not of the Linux kernel or the GNU/Linux OS.

To the boot times, yes, most distros are 'sluggish'. Disabling daemons you don't need helps with the boot time. Remove the rhgb parameter from the kernel parameters in the grub configuration and disable SELinux. My Linux boots into the login in about 10 to 13 seconds, and shuts down equally fast, because I've only those daemons running which I really need. (fcron, ftp; I use ultra-slow memory (133MHz SDRAM, not even DDR) and a pretty old processor (AMD Athlon 2100+).)

So, if Fedora is not stable, try to install other distros until you find a stable one. Debian is one of the stablest.

--LC
    it\'s !Linux; it\'s GNU/Linux!
    [XBill] [GNU] [Viewable with Any Browser] [Drop me a mail]

tfk
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by New_To_RH_Linux
    Hi man! I started using Linux recently. And I'm wondering why
    should I do all that low-level operations myself to make this
    system working!!!
    But that's the spirit of Linux.
    Tinkering with the system on system levels. Not with fancy GUIs.

I don't like most modern distros because they make things too easy, and discourage the users to get to know the ins and outs of Linux. (See Lindows)

--LC
    it\'s !Linux; it\'s GNU/Linux!
    [XBill] [GNU] [Viewable with Any Browser] [Drop me a mail]

Linux Newbie
    [quote="dylunio"]seanb, haw much memory do you have? and how much SWAP space? it sounds like you are running out of memory;

dylunio[/quote

I have Pentium 4 Hyperthreading processor(2.8ghz) and 512 ram. I dont think its the memory

Just Joined!
    i agree with New_To_RH_Linux its a nightmare installing stuff on linux
    i can see how it ca become "too" easy i am a complete n00b but i am trying to get to know a little about linux but i dont know where to go to learn.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyin
    i agree with New_To_RH_Linux its a nightmare installing stuff on linux
    i can see how it ca become "too" easy i am a complete n00b but i am trying to get to know a little about linux but i dont know where to go to learn.
    i agree with everyone here to some extent. I can appreciate the ability to configure things as you wish and do things that you cant do in Windows, but, it gets a little too difficult. If its choice we want then why not have some choice as to not only how to configure things but how difficult we want to make it. For example i just downloaded some updates and new packages, where did they go? i was not asked about a destination, they just started down loading. I dont know where it went,how to find them or what to do IF i find them. My biggest beef is why not have some better installation tools? they dont have to be graphical, text would be fine but you get nothing. so what that means to me ias a new comer, is that i am out of luck,too bad. I am not an idiot and i pick up on stuff quick, but i need something to pick up on. I think Linux has alot of potential and would like to see more people interested but its very frustrating. and no, i dont want Lindows or Linspire or whatever its called.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast