Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I recently downloaded Fedora Core 3. I added a second hard drive to my system to put Fedora on. I want to put FC3 on my primary slave ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing FC3 on primary slave HDD...

Hello all. I recently downloaded Fedora Core 3. I added a second hard drive to my system to put Fedora on. I want to put FC3 on my primary slave drive, but when I go through the installation only my primary master drive shows up. How do I get Fedora to recognize my slave drive and install Fedora on that?

Also, I have Windows on my primary master drive, and I want to be able to choose between booting to Fedora on my slave, or Windows on my master. How can I do this? Thank you!

Linux Newbie
    perhaps try passing linux expert at the installation boot: prompt?

Just Joined!
    Can you elaborate on this? I'm somewhat new to linux, and my main concern as of now is installing FC3 by getting the installation to recognize my slave hard drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    first, the jumper on your HDD
    second, check if your hard disk is properly recognised by your BIOS
    third, erm...... you should be able to "see" your hard disk now....

Just Joined!
    My jumper settings are correct. BIOS detects both my primary master drive as well as my primary slave drive. Yet it does not show up in the FC3 installation.

Linux User
    then try to boot using your first hard disk, and perform the following at shell prompt:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    or perhaps

Code:
    fdisk  /dev/hdb
    if it allows you to edit the partition for the slave hard disk, then perhaps there's a bug in the FC3 intaller.... (just wild guess)

Just Joined!
    Ahh, I got it to work. For some reason when I tried it a second time, hdb showed up, and with GRUB I can boot to Windows or Fedora. Thank you for your help!

Just Joined!

how to install fc3 from hard disk

i have a fc3 dvd but i don't have a a dvdrom.....so i copied the files from a friend over network(he had a dvdrom).....no.......i can not install the fc3 from my harddrive....the instalation can be done from hard disk but it says it can not find the files required.....si pls help me with somme ideas
    (to buy a dvdrom it not an option )

Linux User
    install a simple web server on your friend's pc, and setup a directory that points to the DVD, then create a few bootable floppies (the image files should be included in the FC DVD, normally /images)

boot your PC with those floppies, specify an ip, then give the installer your friend's IP in http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and gotcha...

hope this helps

Linux Guru

Re: how to install fc3 from hard disk

Quote Originally Posted by crasmaru
    (to buy a dvdrom it not an option )
    For a smaller investment, and sure to work, you may be able to get the CDs from Linux CD .org: Fedora Core 3 binaries, US$8 plus shipping. That's what I did.

For future: if you have a new topic, it's better to start a new thread.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better