Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Red Hat Linux 7.0 on a Dell Latitude CS R. When I run Gnome or KDE, part of my desktop is not visible on the screen. I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help! Desktop too big.

I'm running Red Hat Linux 7.0 on a Dell Latitude CS R. When I run Gnome or KDE, part of my desktop is not visible on the screen. I can move my mouse to the edge of the screen, and the screen moves so I can see the rest of the desktop. This is annoying, can anyone help me fix this problem???

Linux Engineer
    This is due to an incorect resolution, you probably setup a resolution that his higher then the one suported by your monitor
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    If I set it up in 640x480 it shows it just as big, but I can't access the other portions.

Just Joined!
    Sounds like video driver problems. Honestly, I thought RH7.0 was one of the worst Linux distros I ever had the displeasure of trying to configure correctly, and laptops are often more complicated anyway. Is there a reason that you need a distro that old? If you don't have broadband, consider ordering some cheap CDs or a commercial boxed Linux set--even those aren't very expensive compared to other commercial OS's.

If you do need that particular distro, you'll have to do some hunting for the right video drivers. IIRC, RH7.0 had some problems with the kernel/kernel headers that made compiling driver support a nightmare. Good luck and post back.

Just Joined!
    What distro would you recommend?