Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Red Hat 9 installed, using boot disk. Asks for login and password. It asked for a password at install but what is the lgoinhost? Did I just miss it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Loging in

Red Hat 9 installed, using boot disk. Asks for login and password. It asked for a password at install but what is the lgoinhost? Did I just miss it and should reinstall? Any help would be great, thanks.

Linux User
    huh???

during installation it will ask you to create a root password, after the installation is completed and you'll boot into the system, login as root and provide the password you created earlier...

Linux Enthusiast
    If you mean localhost, that's the default alias hostname for your computer, basically just your hostname

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I created a password but only root works. How do I create a new user? What would the default hostname be?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ed7063
    I created a password but only root works. How do I create a new user?
    As root(in your terminal):
    Code:
    adduser

Just Joined!
    Adduser just brings up more letters. Understand I am totaly new at this with no instruction book at all. Help---Windows is looking a lot easier.

Linux Engineer
    Adduser just brings up more letters.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It should ask you for a username and some additional information. Pretty much all you have to type in is a username and a password of your choice. Otherwise, you can just press Enter for all the other stuff. If you're still lost, type man adduser and read about how to use it.
    Windows is looking a lot easier.
    It is a lot easier. It's also a lot crappier.

Banned
    Adduser just brings up more letters. Understand I am totaly new at this with no instruction book at all. Help---Windows is looking a lot easier.
    'k
    To make it very easy:

*right click with your mouse
    *your first pick will open a terminal
    *since you're already root, just type adduser
    *this will ask you some questions, only answer your username, real name and password(you'll be asked to retype this).

Now you should have a new user in /home/

If you type ls /home/ it should now show you your new user's home map.

*Next log-out(or reboot).
    *Now log in with your new username and password.

Just Joined!
    It looks like I'm not getting a full boot or something. After the blue boot screen it shows all the green [OK]'s as things losd. After that it stops at a point asking for a username and password. Clicking the mouse does nothing, like its in Dos. Should I tryand reinstall?

Linux Engineer
    It looks like I'm not getting a full boot or something. After the blue boot screen it shows all the green [OK]'s as things losd. After that it stops at a point asking for a username and password. Clicking the mouse does nothing, like its in Dos. Should I tryand reinstall?
    You could try logging in as root, adding a new user, logging out via exit or logout, logging in as the user you just created and then trying startx. It should, however, boot to a graphical login manager. Did you install the X Window System?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast