Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, when starting fedora3 as normal user I would like to have full acess to the windows partition (that is where the data is). So far by default I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Flo
    Just Joined!

change default mount of harddrive

Hi,
    when starting fedora3 as normal user I would like to have full acess to the windows partition (that is where the data is). So far by default I have read acess but not write. I do not want to umount and mount the drive manually after starting the computer anew. So my question is, how do I have to change the setup files and where are the default mount options defined. So far I have figured out that it is probably not in the fstab, I have set the option to users (to be able to umount and mount). Any suggestion would be welcome.
    Thanks
    Flo

Linux Guru
    Check your fstab again: if you see "ro" (read only) on the entry for your Windows partition, that's the problem. If you want your Windows partition to be treated the same as, say, your / partition, you can just copy the same information, with the obvious exceptions of device, mount point and filesystem type (vfat or ntfs instead of ext2 or reiserfs). Most of the keywords used in fstab are actually part of the mount command, so if you do 'man mount' to get the manual page for mount, you will be able to see what the keywords mean, for example "defaults" and "noatime". Be aware also that writing to ntfs may be unreliable in Linux. No problem with vfat, though
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    is it fat or ntfs? Does that even matter anymore? Ahh. I have to be honest here. I haven't messed around with windows for over a year and a half. It was always neat to be able to make files disapear off of people's desktops when they were bad but the thrill is gone.
    --Jeff--

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkleeme
    is it fat or ntfs?
    I'm no expert here, as I haven't got past Windows NT. With NT, during install you have the choice of using vfat or ntfs. I'm guessing that with more recent releases, ntfs is mandatory. But that's just for the files on the Windows partition. The best plan is to create a vfat partition to hold any files that you will want to share (read and write) with Linux. You can always read ntfs if it's supported in the kernel.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Flo
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

it is vfat so there is no problem reading and writing, it is just the problem of the default mount.
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
    That is the line for my disk, so what does default mean? If I enter "default" in the windows section I will ot be able to umount and mount and then I only have read access as in the beginning. I read through the man-pages and I ended up with this:
    /dev/hda1 /windows/c vfat users,rw 0 0
    If you had any other suggestion it would be great.
    Thanks
    Flo

Linux Guru
    Code:
    /dev/hda1               /windows/c              vfat    users,rw        0 0
    I think that's okay (it's hard being away from my Linux box all day). The only other thing I can think of is that if you created the /windows/ or /windows/c directories as root, then you won't have read/write permissions. You can fix that as root or su.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Flo
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

I just checked if it was possible to change the owner of /windows or /windows/c but it is already set to me as normal user. I cannot set /windows/c to be writable for the group though, why I do not understand. Should I create it anew?
    Thanks
    Flo