Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 120 GB maxtor external hd, and I want to install linux on it. However when I run fedora core3 disc 1 and get to the partition manager it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

external hard drive

I have 120 GB maxtor external hd, and I want to install linux on it. However when I run fedora core3 disc 1 and get to the partition manager it doesnt recognize the hard drive, only my internal. I do not want to install on the same HD as windows is on, and I want to keep both OS's. My question is how do I get Fedora to recognize my external HD? My motherboard and BIOS both supports boot by external device..

Just Joined!
    your bios may however linux may not. I think that the restriction of the boot image residing on your 1st 4 ide hard disks still applies. You could try a boot floppy to jump start it. As far as recognizing it at all you may be able to pass a kernel option at boot. Another creative solution would be using a jump drive. I know that works. google damn small linux and you should see what they are doing. You could also install an additional internal drive and install the boot loader to your MBR on the first drive. That would be fine. An internal would be cheaper than that external you have. Heck you may be able to take the drive out of that external case depending on what it is. Would have to physically take it apart to tell you. haven't done that since 1998. but it is probably (sight unseen) a sata drive in an external enclosure with a firewire and usb adapter. Just guessing. If you run your entire system off an external it will probably run like crap.
    --Jeff--

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkleeme
    Heck you may be able to take the drive out of that external case depending on what it is. Would have to physically take it apart to tell you. haven't done that since 1998.
    You can do that for the install and then put the drive back in the external case. Edit Grub and maybe fstab and then you should be able to boot directly to it, since BIOS supports it.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better