Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed RH 9.0 and I currently have a dual boot with XP. Need to know how to connect to internet with USB connection instead of Ethernet direct connection. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Connection w/USB

I just installed RH 9.0 and I currently have a dual boot with XP.

Need to know how to connect to internet with USB connection instead of Ethernet direct connection.

Any information would be great.

Thanks,
    C.R.

There's no way to advise you without knowing something about your hardware. Is this from a USB connected broad band modem? a wireless adapter? What make and model? The more info the better.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    The USB connects directly into the modem itself.

Its a Motorola Surfboard Modem
    Model #: SB5120

Any suggestions would be great.

Regards,
    C.R.

Just Joined!
    I have one of these. I have never tried to use the usb. I don't think that I would want to. RH 9.0 may not let you do this at all. I don't even know if FC3 will. Do you have an ethernet (network card) on your computer? either onboard or on PCI? If not they are really cheap. $25 or less. Just get a 10/100 because you aren't even going to max out 10 Base T with that surfboard. I like D-Link cards myself. No frills. The simpler the better. Pop it in and configure using DHCP and you should be good. Oh and of course get a cat 5 cable and plug it in. You might try a little later distro if you are used to XP. I am a fc3 guy myself.

--Jeff--

Just Joined!
    Stuck a NIC card in my PCI slot. RH updated the h.ware, however I can't configure eth1 for the internet.

Here is the following error that I'm receiving:
    eth0
    an alias to module e100 in modules.conf
    instead of currently loaded module ne2k-PC1

Any suggestions on a fix for this error would be great.

Regards,
    C.R.

Nic cards are usually configured on eth0. Did you do this with:

redhat-config-network

?

If so, you might try deleteting your card in redhat-config-network, and also delete it in hardware. Then reboot and let Kudzu "find" and configure it again. Are you using an Intel pro 10/100?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Yes, I have a Intel onboard ethernet connection. I stuck another NIC card and RH regconizes it as eth0(1).

When I attempt to use the P10/100 onboard ethernet connection nothing happens, however RH does detect it on boot up, and give me the message that the cable is not plugged in.

As for the other NIC card it regconizes it, however I can't connect to the internet.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    C.R.

Just Joined!
    the onboard should work. Have you tried using it without the extra nic. sometimes they want to fight each other. If you can't get that to work try disabling the onboard nic in your bios. With redhat 9 some of the newer hardware might not work properly. Are you using an intel main board? I have one and I had hell with trying to use it and an additional card for a second network. I eventually gave up on trying to use that machine for a router. Make sure that you are using DHCP with your surf board... well as long as that is what your isp is doing. Most cable companies that I can think of use DHCP. What does ifconfig say? Do you have a windows machine running on that connection? If so check the network configuration on it an post those settings if they are working so we can see how your ISP should be set up. Do you have a router or anything else inbetween?
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!
    Finally got the connection to the interenet with RH 9.0.

Used the NIC card that I installed and forced XP to regconize the DCHP address. After I did this switched over to RH and got the connection without any problems.

Thank you everyone.

C.R. :P