Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I login remotely to my redhat box, I get the following message that is annoying me... login: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting initial ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem when I login

When I login remotely to my redhat box, I get the following message that is annoying me...

login: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested realm while getting initial credentials

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Shaun

Looks like a problem with Kerberos and telnet. Might be as simple as using SSH instead. If that's not an option or it doesn't work, you coulc try this:

Edit /etc/xinetd.d/krb5-telnet and set "disable = yes", add the following lines to the /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file and kill -HUP xinetd.

service telnet
    {
    disable = no
    flags = REUSE
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    # server_args = -h
    log_on_failure += USERID
    }
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    That file /usr/sbin/in.telnetd does not exist. I am running RHELWS3. Can I just create it or copy it from another RH machine?

Thanks,

Shaun

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does in.telnetd exist elsewhere?

find / -name in.telnetd -print
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    No

Wait, did you say you were running RHEL? I don't think that RHEL installs the telnet-server package by default. When you telnet to it, you are connecting to the kerberized rlogin server.
    If you don't want to configure a kerberos domain just install the plain telnet server.

BTW, have you tried SSH? You have to make sure the SSH server is running first, of course, but I prefer SSH anyway.

- Jeremy S. Anderson