Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am using Fedora Core 3 and I cannot play any audio CDs. I keep getting an error stating "can't read superblock". I have no idea what that means and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My CD player doesn't work FC3

I am using Fedora Core 3 and I cannot play any audio CDs. I keep getting an error stating "can't read superblock". I have no idea what that means and I'm lost. Can anyone help me?

Linux Newbie

Re: My CD player doesn't work FC3

Quote Originally Posted by cliff76
    I am using Fedora Core 3 and I cannot play any audio CDs. I keep getting an error stating "can't read superblock". I have no idea what that means and I'm lost. Can anyone help me?
    Welcome to the Club!!

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-34737.html

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you trying to mount it, or just read it with the CD player. Audio CDs cannot be mounted.

Linux Newbie
    this is what i get

" The CD player is unable to run correctly.

Press 'Details' for more details on reasons for the failure.

Press 'Set device' to go to a dialog where you can set the device, or press 'Quit' to quit the CD player"

...and when i click details....

"The CD player is unable to run correctly.

You do not seem to have permission to access /dev/hdc.
    Press 'Set device' to go to a dialog where you can set the device, or press 'Quit' to quit the CD player"

...and my settings are...

"/dev/hdc"

Linux Newbie
    my permissions are okay, i am the user. after i get this message i am no longer able to eject either by clicking eject or manually using th eject button on the drive itself. i have to shut down and eject it.

Just Joined!
    try logging in as root and see if it works. If thatis the case you need to set the permissions for the device. Can you do anything else with that drive ie mount a data cd and look at the files?
    --Jeff--

Just Joined!
    check to see if you have a symbolic link between /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrom i.e. ls -al /dev | grep hdc
    if not create it i.e. ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
    also your ownership and group for /dev/hdc should be root:disk
    you should also see a symbolic link between /dev/hdc and /dev/cdrecorder

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jtkleeme
    try logging in as root and see if it works. If thatis the case you need to set the permissions for the device. Can you do anything else with that drive ie mount a data cd and look at the files?
    --Jeff--
    i always try as root if something does not work.
    guys, i dont mean to sound like a jerk but its not permissions or users. The whole media package is screwed. the drive locks, it wont aknowledge packages that are installed. I have tried to go into add/remove applications and remove the whole "sound and video" package but i cant. it says " the following packages are not installed, they must be installed before you can proceed" and of course i cant install them because they are already there! they are just corrupted or something. so i am sorta stuck in the twilight zone with this. they installed and not installed at the same time. I dont get it.

Just Joined!
    Do you have the symbolic links I asked about?, is selinux turned on ?

Just Joined!

Drive error with sound cd's

I had the same problem playing audio CD's. I stuck in a data CD and that showed I did have access to the drive. I then went to the sound and video under applications and then to the volume control. After getting rid of all the mutes on the volume controls I did get the audio CD to faintly play - but there was far too much static to hear much - just that there was some music under it. I noticed AISA wasn't running so I dowloaded ALSA - but I can't find any reference to it despite rebooting - an old Windows trick. How do I get ALSA to run as part of the services?

Oh, and a related point - I can't get any sound from Real10 player either after downloading it. Both my sound cards have been detected so I suspect they are OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast