Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am an total Linux noob. I can't seem to get Netscape to work on my system. I am usint the Fedora 3 Core. I get it installe, but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with Netscape

I am an total Linux noob. I can't seem to get Netscape to work on my system. I am usint the Fedora 3 Core. I get it installe, but it will do nothing afterwords. Cand someone help me get this working, because it seems that I need Netscape in order to watch video on my system. Please help

By 'do nothing afterwards' what do you mean? that you can't find how to run the program, or the program gives errors when opening?

try in a terminal
    Code:
    netscape
    to get the browser running.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    By 'do nothing afterwards' what do you mean? that you can't find how to run the program, or the program gives errors when opening?

try in a terminal
    Code:
    netscape
    to get the browser running.

dylunio
    I mean that it did install the program but I cant figure out how to run the program. It is supposed to run automaticaly after it installs. I does not, and when I try to do it manually it doesnt work either. And running "netscape" in the terminal produces the following error: "Cannot display location file://netscape.

Just Joined!
    No one has any suggestions? I figure it is something really simple that I am over looking.

Why do you need Netscape for video? By the way, Mozilla comes with FC3; it's the open-source version of Netscape, and should install flawlessly.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Why do you need Netscape for video? By the way, Mozilla comes with FC3; it's the open-source version of Netscape, and should install flawlessly.
    Well, maybe not for all video. But my isp is SBC Yahoo and when I click on one of their video clips from my SBC homepage, it says that I need Netscape or IE to run it. I think that I am already using Mozilla. Mozilla/Firefox correct?

When you say that it did install it, do you mean you downloaded the installer, changed the permissions on it to make it executable, ran it and went through the graphical setup (if so, I'm rather impressed that a noob got through it)? If not, then we can walk you through it. If so, we can do a search for the executable for Netscape.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    [quote="kelly"]
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    And running "netscape" in the terminal produces the following error: "Cannot display location file://netscape.
    That doesn't sound like a terminal error. That sounds like you typed 'netscape' into a file browser. Open gnome-terminal or konsole, depending on whether you're running gnome or kde, and then type 'netscape'.

As suggested above though, it sounds like you will need a video player, not just the Netscape browser. I hate those stupid 'You must have this, that, or the other' messages. What a worthless bunch of developers.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded the linux version from the Netscape site http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow...load_other.jsp I then extracted the .tar.gz to my desktop. I then opened up that file and double clicked on the netscape-install icon. That opened up a graphical installation. I just followed the prompts and it installed the files. After that nothing happens. I browse through the installed files but can't find any way to run it. I try the command prompts that the supplied instructions tell me to run, but nothing happens. I will admit that I am still totally confused with the whole command console and console prompts anyway. That could have something to do with it.[/url]

I've looked at the 'install.pdf' and it says that Netscape should run automaticly after install, did this hapen? the instructions are at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/brow...structions.pdf

Within the directroy you installed is there a file that's named 'netscape' or similar?, if to try to run it with:
    Code:
    ./path/to/file
    replceing /path/to/file with the path to the file (including the file).

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast