Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 5 of 5
ok, seeing as how i know absolutly nothing abou Linux i figured i would really start poking around<insert sarcasm>in the system files and see what kind of trouble i could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    106

    proc>acpi>thermal zone>trip points


    ok, seeing as how i know absolutly nothing abou Linux i figured i would really start poking around<insert sarcasm>in the system files and see what kind of trouble i could get into.
    well i found a file "proc" and in there i found "acpi" which led me to "thermal zone" which finally led me to things like "cpu temp" and the one that excited me most "trip points" my question is can these trip points for the fan to kick on be changed? i have been trying to figure out why my fan never stops running. the part that is bugging me is, a couple of times i ran my battery down to almost nothing in XP , then i plugged the cord back in and rebooted to Fedora(core 3) when i do this, the fan cycles like its supposed to in fedora, even after the battery reaches a full charge. the laptop will be nice an quiet, just running the fan occasionally when it needs it. the fan will continue to function properly untill i restart the machine, then i am back to the fan running wide open non-stop. Yes, the acpi is active. this is really begining to frustrate me-the fans are so loud that i have to boot back into XP if i want to get any work done.

    Trip Points
    critical (S5): 93 C
    passive: 90 C: tc1=2 tc2=3 tsp=100 devices=0x0357b280
    active[0]: 70 C: devices=0x0357bc00
    active[1]: 60 C: devices=0x0357bd20
    active[2]: 50 C: devices=0x0357be4


    like i said guys, i dont know what i am doing but i am trying to gather as much info as possible.

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    forums.gentoo.org
    Posts
    1,817
    Did you come across this from The Linux Documentation Project::
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ACPI-HOWTO/index.html?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Did you come across this from The Linux Documentation Project::
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ACPI-HOWTO/index.html?
    thats a bit out of my realm. i am still trying to figure out how to install the newest version of Firefox.
    alot of these tutorials are great but they all make the same assumption that you have knowledge that you dont. everytime i try to use a tutorial i end up searching out ten other tutorilals to explain parts of the first tutorial.
    i just want to shut my fans down and this ACPI tutorial is going into compiling and patching kernals,building your own patch. i find some of this stuff rediculous. its like wanting to change the horn/lighter fuse in your car only to be informed that first you need to remove the entire engine,transmission and steering rack in order to acess the fuse panel, but, when you try to close the fuse pannel door with the new fuse in it, you wont be able to close it all the way. so... now you need to re-draw some blue prints, head down to the machine shop and start you alterations. after you finnish your engine mount changes you can reinstall the engine, but becare careful that the transmission still lines up! same goes for the steering rack, you may have to make some alterations here to compensate for the engine mount changes. oh, and heres some random scematics and manuals to guide you.
    .....but all i wanted to do was change the fuse...

    this is not directed at you drakebasher- i am just getting a little frustrated. The device controlls and user interface has all the efficiency of a huge government beaurocracy.

    ...i am sorry sir, but you forgot to check box c, please allow another 6 to 8 weeks for processing...
    ...you cant get there from here...

    thats enough of my rant.

    by the way, my fan is now cycling normally and has been doing so since yesterday evening, if i shut the computer down for any reason or restart i will back to where is was. full blast 100% of the time

  4. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    forums.gentoo.org
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb
    by the way, my fan is now cycling normally and has been doing so since yesterday evening, if i shut the computer down for any reason or restart i will back to where is was. full blast 100% of the time
    If I understand, it sounds like maybe it's working. If it runs continuously for a while after start-up and then starts cycling later, maybe it takes that long to stablize the temperature? Or are you saying that you can change something to make it cycle, but the change doesn't survive a re-boot?

    You are right about Linux tutorials, in general and that one specifically. You might want to take a second look at just these two sections:I didn't see any mention of an application or even a configuration file for setting up the control scheme for the fans, etc, but there must be one somewhere....

    As for your graphic rant, IMO you have hit on the single biggest challenge for those of us who want to see the Linux community grow. Hang in there.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb
    by the way, my fan is now cycling normally and has been doing so since yesterday evening, if i shut the computer down for any reason or restart i will back to where is was. full blast 100% of the time
    If I understand, it sounds like maybe it's working. If it runs continuously for a while after start-up and then starts cycling later, maybe it takes that long to stablize the temperature? Or are you saying that you can change something to make it cycle, but the change doesn't survive a re-boot?

    You are right about Linux tutorials, in general and that one specifically. You might want to take a second look at just these two sections:I didn't see any mention of an application or even a configuration file for setting up the control scheme for the fans, etc, but there must be one somewhere....

    As for your graphic rant, IMO you have hit on the single biggest challenge for those of us who want to see the Linux community grow. Hang in there.
    i have actuallu had the fan cycling normally for 2 days now but i know if i reboot it will go back to full blast and the only way to get it to cycle again is to run the battery down to under 20% in XP and then boot into Fedora. i have tried running the battery as low as 11% in Fedora and the fans just keeps right on humming. i know it sounds nuts but that the way it has been working. i just met a guy who is very knowledgable about Linux and he may be able to help me out and i will also look into the links you posted.

    thanks again, i will keep you posted if i figure it out
    Sean

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •