Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Flatline Is Suse's hardware detection really that much better than RedHat's? Wow. I know Mandrake's hardware detection is also really, really good. For my hardware it is. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Is Suse's hardware detection really that much better than RedHat's? Wow. I know Mandrake's hardware detection is also really, really good.
    For my hardware it is. And since the last version of Redhat was Redhat 9 (March 2003), and SuSE 9.2 came out a few months ago (Oct 2004), SuSE definitely supports more hardware. That being said, SuSE worked better with my hardware even against Fedora Core 3, which is much newer than RH9. Your mileage may vary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

These days when I say RedHat, I usually mean Fedora. Bad habit, and one that I'll have to work on.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    So what would you advise me? change my RH9 to SuSe or Fedora Core 3?
    And is there easy upgrade from RH9 to SuSe/Fedora Core 3
    or I have to remove RH9 and install a new system?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You probably wouldn't be able to do a very clean update from RH9 to FC3...they're several versions apart. It may work, but upgrades are usually a bit dodgy in my experience. Suse would require a new install.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

You *can* upgrade RH9 to Fedora Core 3, but so many things have changed since that release that you'd avoid potential problems by just doing a clean install. I don't *think* you can update RH9 to SuSE, due to differences in the way they handle certain things.

As to which you want to use, that's up to you. I personally didn't have good luck with FC3, whereas SuSE 9.2 runs beautifully. If you have an Nvidia card, there's some hoops you're going to have to jump through with FC3.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

The only thing that would nudge me to suggesting FC3 for you is that, as a RedHat user, you're used to Gnome. Having said that, either one would probably be a pretty easy shift for you.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    But anyway will it take much time to study Fedora core 3
    or Suse after my Red Hat 9?

Just Joined!
    No it shouldn't take you long. They are all based on the same idea's and FC3 is Redhat 9 with more packages and programs. Might look slighly different but won't take you that long. I have used both KDE and GNOME and they are very similar. Haven't tried SUSE yet but i am sure from the screenshots i seen is not that different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2