Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I know that Red Hat does not support Red Hat Linux 9 any more So what all the users of this system should do now? Is it good using this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Red Hat Linux without updates now?

I know that Red Hat does not support Red Hat Linux 9 any more
    So what all the users of this system should do now?
    Is it good using this system without updates?
    probably it will be too old soon

I never recommend using any OS that doesn't have updates.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux User
    for educational purpose only, perhaps, if you don wanna throw away those good oldies, but for normal usage, or even production purpose, get supported distro, FC2 is fine.

There's also a free download edition of Suse 9.2 Pro, and Mandrake 10.1 Official is also quite nice. I like to recommend playing around with Suse and RedHat (or Fedora) because they're the two biggest corporate players right now and it's a good thing to have some experience with them.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    But is Suse is different from Red Hat? I don't want to install very different system

It's not all that different, really. It has more graphical system administration tools (in YAST, the control center) and uses KDE instead of Gnome for its desktop environment, but the "guts" of the two are extremely similar.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by New_To_RH_Linux
    But is Suse is different from Red Hat? I don't want to install very different system
    SuSE is an RPM-based distribution similar to Redhat, and even uses certain features (such as kudzu IIRC) that Redhat has GPLed. It's different in that it has much better hardware detection/configuration and the YaST tool, which is only found on SuSE (so far).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Is Suse's hardware detection really that much better than RedHat's? Wow. I know Mandrake's hardware detection is also really, really good.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks! but what is the YaST tool?

Kind of like Windows' control center, but in my opinion more powerful.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast