Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I just installed Redhat Linux 9.0 on my laptop and need some information 1 1, which folder do i download software, is there any specific folder? 2 where do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

new to Linux , need some information

Hi
    I just installed Redhat Linux 9.0 on my laptop and need some information 1
    1, which folder do i download software, is there any specific folder?
    2 where do i install new software(unzip or se RPM) so all any user who logs in can use this installed software( in windows normally install in program files folder)
    3 how do i create short cut on desktop to access these application
    4 what authority do i give to a user profile, so this can be used to install software,
    5 do i use root user to download and install new software or use user id created to do this stuff
    6 How do i configure my wireless connection on IBM think pad T23, i have a cisco M350 wireless card

Ashish

Linux User
    1. no, i normally keep my downloaded file in /opt
    2. RPM (the redhat way) installs program files into /usr while configuration files into /etc and log file into /var. AFAIK there is no specific "program files" in linux but /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin

3. not familiar with X, try to drag and drop like we normally do in windows?

4. root, or make them a member of the root group (perhaps wont work if the directory's group membership is belong to something else like bin, sys)

5. you can use normal user to ./configure and make a .tar.gz source file but when it comes to make install or rpm install a program, you must be root

6. beat me.....

Adam

Just Joined!

how to find what software is installed on linux

Hi
    How do i find what softare is installed, like in windows i can go to add remove programs, in linux i want to know if i have installed java or real player
    how do i find it

Ashish

Just Joined!

Re: how to find what software is installed on linux

Quote Originally Posted by kulkarni_ash
    Hi
    How do i find what softare is installed, like in windows i can go to add remove programs, in linux i want to know if i have installed java or real player
    how do i find it

Ashish
    You can type whereis or which and the name of the item you are looking for. Also, you will need to install Java manually there are several sites that show how to install it, if you need the directions I can post them on here. Real Player you can download from Real.com it is not to hard to install.

6. have a look at this http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...276eed2e43015c
    this may work check the driver list here to see if it is supported http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...276eed2e43015c
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org