Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got another desktop standing just next to me with soundcard and speakers and I wan't to control it remotly as my jukebox. So I've ssh'ed to this machine, start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

music on remote machine - just for fun

I've got another desktop standing just next to me with soundcard and speakers and I wan't to control it remotly as my jukebox. So I've ssh'ed to this machine, start xmms remotly (ssh -X) but I'm getting error

** WARNING **: alsa_get_mixer(): Attaching to mixer hw:0 failed: Permission denied
    ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): Permission denied
    ** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): Permission denied

How can I grant a permission for remote user? It of course works localy ..

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar
    Are you at root level when you try ssh????
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

Linux Guru
    If I understand you correctly, you're trying to start xmms on machine 2 from machine 1 while ssh'd in? You don't have to use the -X option. Once you ssh in, you're on that machine. If you just issue the command xmms, it should start on machine 2.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    why not start xmms on machine 1 and listen to songs stored on machine 2?

Or if you are trying to stream songs from machine 2 I don't think xmms will do that, but Helix from real player will
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

The remote machine has everything, music, soundcard, xmms ... ssh -X is therefor I want to see the playlist etc, same issue appears when I'm trying to use mpg321. I'm not a root on a remote machine and I don't have a root access (anyway I can ask the root to set some changes for me but I don't think I'll get into sudoers). The alsalib error is really strange ...