Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am not new to Linux, but this is the first time I have tried to set up a server. I installed all the packages and can start the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP and Apache Web Server

Hello,
    I am not new to Linux, but this is the first time I have tried to set up a server. I installed all the packages and can start the various services and connected to the remotely. The problem, however, is when I am trying to FTP some files to the server I get an error. I can send small *.txt files and such no problem, but when I try to send larger files, like say *.mpegs it returns an error. Is there a configuration or some setting that must be changed in order to accept larger files?

I also have a question about the Apache server. The server is running great when I connect to it through it's local ip (192.168.2.20). I set up a host with dyndns.org and put the server in my router's DMZ, but connections from the outside do not get served, it is like the server is not there. Does any one know why this might be??

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer,
    Matt

As far as your FTP problem. I have the same problem when I try and ftp through my Linksys router. My router doesn't forward FTP very well. If I statically assign my ftp server with no router it ftp's good. I have turned ftp in QOS and still to no avail. Maybe if your router is not a linksys you can up the pryority of FTP in your router.

As far as apache is concerned if it is working on your lan I would venture to guess it si something related to you router. or a firewall issue. Sounds like maybe you need to set port forwarding on in the router for port 80
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I have a crappy belkin router and it doesnt behave very well at all. I tried to open port 80 up to the server and it didnt fix the problem, thats why I put it outside the firewall all together(DMZ).

Now as for the FTP issue how do you turn up the priority for FTP? It wouldnt let me send large files even from the LAN...

Linux Enthusiast
    The priority is more or less something you have to handle within your fw/router. I have not used Belkin to much my self, but I would pretty much be sure that you are not able to handle priorities in it, since priority is a quite complex issue and are mostly supported in high-end FW/routers.

Anyhow, your problem with FTP might be solved better if you try to connect in Passive mode, by default most FTP clients use Active mode, which by the way in security issues is secure for the FTP server, but in-secure for the client. Passive FTP is a more secure to the client, but medium to high secure risc for the server. But then, you are able to tune the passive mode on your ftp server as well.

Back to the issue, try Passive mode, and let me know if that helped out.

I have a linksys router and I can turn up pryority in the QOS tab, but it didn't fix the issue nor did putting it in the dmz if you truely want a ftp server I say tcp wrap ftp in /etc/hosts.allow and put a switch between your router and your dsl connection and put the ftp server in the switch away from the router. I do this at home and have never been hacked yet. (Although I have taken secure steps to make sure I don't get hacked)
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot guys...I turned the connection to passive and I works great.

As for the web server I still cant connect to it from the outside, but that is a really good idea about putting a switch in front of the router. I am going to try that this weekend when I have sometime.

Until then if anyone has any other suggestions as why I cant connect please post....
    Thanks,
    Matt

Linux Enthusiast
    As for the web server I still cant connect to it from the outside, but that is a really good idea about putting a switch in front of the router. I am going to try that this weekend when I have sometime.
    This is most likely a FW issue!

adrenaline wrote
    As far as apache is concerned if it is working on your lan I would venture to guess it si something related to you router. or a firewall issue. Sounds like maybe you need to set port forwarding on in the router for port 80
    As told earlier, you must check your FW config.
    This could even be a double edged problem,
    (1) is it possible that users from the outside can access your
    apache server, but you can't access the server on the public IP?

(2) Or is it that none what so ever can access the Apache on the public IP?

If (1) is the true one, it might be so your FW does not do NAT/SAT internaly, i.e. when you connect from <Inside> -> <DMZ>
    Check if there is a setting for it.

If (2) is true, then go on adrenaline advices. Again, check your FW config.

Just Joined!
    Alright, so I got the FTP server working great now, but I cant get the appache server to work. When I try to connect using Netscape, it tells me that the document containts no data, why?

Linux Enthusiast
    Have you done a similar port forward as you did with FTP?
    I.e. allowing HTTP:80 into your DMZ?
    And if you are on the same subnet as the Apache, will you get a published document from your Apache?

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for all the adivce guys...Everytihng is woking out great. The problem was that I was trying to get to the page from inside the firewalll and I think that it would not let me loop back, and thats why my routers config page was showing up. Anyway, all is wel now, thanks agian guys...
    Cheers,
    Matt