Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mounting a floppy drive

Hi
    Can somebody tell me how to mount a floppy drive and have read write access to it. My distro is Fedora 3
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page

It's probably as simple as opening a terminal and typing

mount /dev/floppy /mnt/floppy
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    It's probably as simple as opening a terminal and typing

mount /dev/floppy /mnt/floppy
    Actually, in FC3, the default arrangement is to mount it in /media/floppy. It should be set up in fstab already and I think it might be auto-mount by default. So, apoorv_khurasia you should first try to just put the floppy in the drive and then wait a minute to see if it will be automatically mounted: if it is, it will appear on the desktop and in the filemanager. If it doesn't appear, then try 'mount /dev/fd0 /media/floppy' like Flatline suggested. And if that doesn't work, 'mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy' might, but I think you'll need to 'mkdir /mnt/floppy' first.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Haven't messed with Fedora much (legacy RH knowledge). Didn't realize that they, too, have moved to the /media directory.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

I had tried all this already but nothing happened the terminal does not even return an error message. My fstab looks like this
    /dev/floppy /mnt/floppy auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,mamaged 0 0
    thanks to all.
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

If it didn't return an error message, it may have worked. Can you see the contents of /media/floppy?

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by apoorv_khurasia
    I had tried all this already but nothing happened the terminal does not even return an error message. My fstab looks like this
    /dev/floppy /mnt/floppy auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,mamaged 0 0
    thanks to all.
    This suggests to me that you have mounted the drive succesfully, but looking at your fstab I see a ro which stands for Read Only, change that to rw which stands for Read/Write. Now you should be able to read and write the floppy.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

No what i meant was that it does not return to a prompt it gets stuck there and no messages are displayed and the folder /mnt/floppy remains empty
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

No what i meant was that it does not return to a prompt it gets stuck there and no messages are displayed and the folder /mnt/floppy remains empty. I have waited for 10 -15 minutes also but it remains as such i.e. it does not return a prompt
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike

apoorv_khurasia, ahve you tried changing the /etc/fstab line so it had rw instead of ro?

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2