Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I currently have multi-boot of Win98se/Win XP Pro/Mandrake Linux 10.1 Offical and a not-working-very-well install of Knoppix. I'm going to install Fedora Core 3 soon and plan to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora Core 3 pre-install questions

Hi all,

I currently have multi-boot of Win98se/Win XP Pro/Mandrake Linux 10.1 Offical and a not-working-very-well install of Knoppix. I'm going to install Fedora Core 3 soon and plan to let it over-write the Knoppix partition as that distro runs better off it's CD Rom. My questions are will the Fedora install allow me to specify which partition it's load into (like Mandrake's does) and will it remove Knoppix for me or should I format that partition first? Then once installed, are there any known difficulties/issues with adding Fedora to LiLo?

Finally, can anyone give me a comparison of Mandrake verus Fedora?

Thanks,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

The most obvious difference between Mandrake and Fedora is that Fedora is Gnome-centric whil Mandrake defaults to KDE. There is also the (extremely powerful) Mandrake Control Center. The "guts" of the two distros are quite similar, though.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Martin I see no problems with adding FC3 to your mandrake LiLo configuration, all you will have to do is replace some if the info you have in your knoppix stanza and change the name to FC3.

also FC3 should let you pick the partutions and it will install over whatever is on them e.g. knoppix;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    I do agree with Flatline, they are both very similar to each other.
    Some would say that FC3 is on the "Bleeding Edge", while MDK could be categorized into a more stable distro.

Which one you choose is like the Apple and Grape question, you'll pikc teh one you feel taste best for you.

Forgott to say that a hugh difference between FC and MDK is the RPM-packet handling. In FC you have a tool called YuM (which you could install in MDK as well), where you can define tons of repositories to install from.

Why you should not use YuM in MDK is quite obvious when you check out most of the repositories, that they are purerly FC repositories.

Thanks guys,

I haven't got the DVD Rom yet, I ordered it off www.linux-magazine.com that's how I got my Mandrake 10.1. The mag has Ubuntu 5.04 in it this month but the screenshots online don't make it look like a very powerful distro so I may pass on that. Look forward to Fedora though!

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    also FC3 should let you pick the partutions and it will install over whatever is on them e.g. knoppix
    To do this, watch for the screen where it offers a choice of doing the partitions automatically or manually. You should choose manually. With that choice you will see all drives and partitions available and you will have full control over their sizes. You will also have the option of formatting the partitions, which will wipe out Knoppix or whatever. Remember that you can fool around with the partitioning all you want and nothing will happen until you tell it to go to the next step.

I'm a fan of Fedora.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Enthusiast apoorv_khurasia's Avatar

Re: Fedora Core 3 pre-install questions

Quote Originally Posted by Martin from Dublin
    Hi all,

I currently have multi-boot of Win98se/Win XP Pro/Mandrake Linux 10.1 Offical and a not-working-very-well install of Knoppix. I'm going to install Fedora Core 3 soon and plan to let it over-write the Knoppix partition as that distro runs better off it's CD Rom. My questions are will the Fedora install allow me to specify which partition it's load into (like Mandrake's does) and will it remove Knoppix for me or should I format that partition first? Then once installed, are there any known difficulties/issues with adding Fedora to LiLo?

Finally, can anyone give me a comparison of Mandrake verus Fedora?

Thanks,

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    Martin
    Fedora will work similar to MDK and will ask which partition do you wish to install it. If you have knoppix installed on it then it will ask if you wish to foramt the drive.
    I had MDK before FC3 and prior to that i worked in my lab with RH9. I found MDK pretty stable than FC3. As of now I have not come across much advantage with FC3 only 15 days have passed!!!! Maybe your feedback can help me out.
    One thing you will need to check out will be mp3 support. FC3 does not come with mp3 support so you might face problem with xmms and k3b etc. You need to download k3b-mp3 to get a support. For xmms I don't remember but I searched for some plugins. Good luck!!!
    "There is no sixth rule"
    --Rob Pike
    Registered Linux User: 400426 home page