Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using RehHat 9. Firewall Lokkit (SSH open). Cablenet connection, so i'm on a LAN. Also, i guess, behind the firewall that my cablenet provider must have installed. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lots of firewalls

Hello,
    I'm using RehHat 9. Firewall Lokkit (SSH open). Cablenet connection, so i'm on a LAN. Also, i guess, behind the firewall that my cablenet provider must have installed. But i'm not sure about this (is there anyway i can find more info abt it?). I want to access my computer from my institute. I'll be having a windows machine there. Putty will be available. But i'm not sure if i'll be behind a firewall there, too. Can anybody sort this out for me?? I want to connect to my machine at home. I'm ready to run any server or service on my machine. I just want to access my files, not much interactive stuff (although, an interactive session will be preferable!).

Also how do I find out what ports are open on my cablenet providers servers (I don't think those guys have the technical expertise to manage a big system)?? Port scanner?? Which one should i use??

Linux Enthusiast
    Sorry to say, but if youre Linux @ home is behind a FW that you don't have access/controll over, there is not much you can do about it.
    Unless you have good connections with your ISP so they would set up a port forward for you

Just Joined!
    Just for kicks, you could try to port map your home address from your institute computer. (as long as it is a public address). Thsi will tell you what ports come through their firewall. Most providers here will block 80, 443, 25 and 21 unless you are a business subscriber but leave others alone. (22, 3389, etc...)Use Nmap and look for TCP port 22 (ssh). Nmap installs nicely on Windows computers. Just be sure to install WinPCap first.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Port 22 open

Hey lvjeff,
    I tried what u told me. i ran nmap to test for open ports. port 22, 80, and 443(HTTPS) are open. How do i use it to access my computer from the institue now. I'm not too good with IPs. The global IP of my provider is 203.115.81.26 and my IP on the lan is 10.100.x.x (sorry i don't post too much info openly on the net, i'm not too good with security yet)
    WHat do i do now?

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Port 22 open

Quote Originally Posted by neomax
    Hey lvjeff,
    The global IP of my provider is 203.115.81.26 and my IP on the lan is 10.100.x.x (sorry i don't post too much info openly on the net, i'm not too good with security yet)
    WHat do i do now?
    This port scan you made, does only mean that your ISP does allow it into their network, does not mean that you can use it to connect with your computer at home from other locations.
    What you need to ask your ISP, is either if you could have a Public IP from them, or if they are willing to do a portforward for your usage.