Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

grub trying to run kernel before XP

I installed linux--Fedora Core 3-- onto one of my hard drives. WinXP pro is on my master hard drive on the primary partition. So I installed linux on on of my other drives. I'm using GRUB as the boot manager with "other" (windows) being my default OS.

Okay, so everything worked fine. It would boot up XP if I didnt' do anything, and if i did do somethingat the GRUB screen, I could easily load linux.

But yesterday, I installed the PlanetCCRMA kernel for linux. And that works fine (as far as I can tell since I have no idea what I'm doing). At the grub screen now, there are 4 options for things to load: the ccrma kernel, two other linux fc3 kernels (since I did an update), and "other" pointing to Windows.

There is a problem though. Now, the ccrma kernel is the default and XP will not load. When I try to load XP, I get a return (correct word?) saying:

Booting "other"

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

Error 19: Linux kernel must be loaded before initrd.

Please press any key to continue...

What can I do to solve this?

Take a look at your /etc/grub.conf file. It looks like, for some reason, the line
    Code:
    got appended onto the end of your winxp boot commands. Just remove that line, and everything should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mjman
    Take a look at your /etc/grub.conf file. It looks like, for some reason, the line
    Code:
    got appended onto the end of your winxp boot commands. Just remove that line, and everything should be fine.

Yes, thank you. I removed that line and XP loads right up.

For some reason that 2.6.9-1.667.img line was at the very bottom of grub.conf

Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close