Results 1 to 2 of 2
I new to Linux and am using redhat professional workstation. My problem is that I can not seem to dial into my Earthlink account. is there a good web site ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 03-06-2005 #1
- Join Date
- Mar 2005
Help with Dialup
- 03-07-2005 #2
what that means is that the dial up tried to use the CHAP method of user authentication (at your ISP) and failed. Which could be that your useriid is wrong as far as your ISP is concerned (if you're using kppp to dialup, check it there), or that your password was wrong.
To check these out (assuming again that you're using the kppp dialup utility) :-
1. Launch KPPP (you'll find it in the Internet part of the start menu (bottom left)), and you'll probably be asked for the root/su password)
2. Click on configure
3. On the Accounts tab, select the account name (probably Earthlink) and then click on Edit
4. On the Edit window on the Dial tab make sure that either CHAP or CHAP/PAP are selected for the Authentification
5. Exit back out to the main KPPP window and make sure that the Logon ID is correct (is it case sensetive, does it have to have a full email user id or is it shorter...?), and retype in your password (again making sure that you get the case (capitals or lower case) correct)
6. Select (ie. put tick in) the "Show log window" box
If it still doesn't work have a look at :-
http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/lindex.html - Section 11
Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS