Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to the linux world but am working out most of my problems myself. I am running Fedora Core 3 on one machine and Windows XP on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

internet problem

I am new to the linux world but am working out most of my problems myself. I am running Fedora Core 3 on one machine and Windows XP on my other machine. They are connected together via a hub and I am using my modem on my Windows machine to access the internet for both machines. My problem is I can't access all websites on my linux machine. Only certain websites will work. Most of the main sites (yahoo, amazon, etc...) I can't get to. It acts like it's trying to load but gets stuck on "waiting for www.?????.com". I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help.

what kind of connection is it and which browser are you using?

I am using Mozilla Firefox and it's set up to automatically configure settings.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kshmr1
    I am using Mozilla Firefox and it's set up to automatically configure settings.
    I have heard that the Internet Connection Feature of Windows behaves wretchedly with Linux. I'd suggest routing to the Internet through your Linux machine and letting your Windows box go through it. Do it the other way around in other words. Or get one of those cheap hardware routers (around $25-30 from various places on the Internet) if that's an option for you.

I didn't have a modem on my linux box. That's why I was doing it this way. I might have to try it that way. Is there something I can do in Windows that might fix it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kshmr1
    I didn't have a modem on my linux box. That's why I was doing it this way.
    That makes sense. I guess I was just thinking automatically of a dsl or cable modem. sorry.
    ...Is there something I can do in Windows that might fix it?
    Well, I don't have a Windows box here to test it with, so I don't know. I'm just passing along info I gathered about problems like that before so you don't chase ghosts of problems. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I figured it out!!!! My Windows firewall was keeping my linux box from accessing some site. Pretty weird. I turned it off and now I am fine. I wonder if ZoneAlarm would work better?