Find the answer to your Linux question:
I haven't post in a while and thats because i didn't have time to play with linux!!! I decided again to install my favourite OS (Linux of course) and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

General Questions!!!

I haven't post in a while and thats because i didn't have time to play with linux!!!

I decided again to install my favourite OS (Linux of course) and i have some questions and i wonder if anyone can help me!

First of all my test box is a PIII 800MHz 256MB RAM NVidia Geforce 2 MX 32 MB.

I want to install Fedora Core 3 and given my previous experience with Red Hat Distros i know that are resource hungry! What i want to know is what i can do to make it faster and less resource hungry (KDE is a must)!!!

Another thing i want to ask is whether i can use the tv-out capability of my video card to watch my dvd on tv. I use it all the time in WinXP and since i can't use it in dual mode in video playback i send the signal only on tv and watch the dvd. Then i send the signal back on my monitor and use my pc as normal. I wonder if that can be done in Linux.

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

To make it less re-source hungry, make less programs start up at boot, don't install that much software, use command line programs instead of X ones, such as irssi, instaed of XChat etc.

I must say you are limiting yourself by only using KDE, I'd at least look into Enightenment or IceWM, which are slightly heavier Window Mangars.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    The thing is i am a new user and i dont know which services i should shut down or how to do it and how to turn off the programs that load at boot time.
    About kde i use greek language and the only window manager i've been able to use greek in is KDE. The font installer has been very helpful. I don't know how to set other window managers for greek.
    Thanks for your reply!

Linux Newbie
    Here's a tip: buy another stick of 256MB RAM (don't tell me it's expensive) and everything will run smooth.