Find the answer to your Linux question:
Someone went wrong with my Fedora Core 2 linux server a couple days ago, and I can now only boot it in rescue mode. This is a webserver that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backing up SQL in rescue mode.

Someone went wrong with my Fedora Core 2 linux server a couple days ago, and I can now only boot it in rescue mode. This is a webserver that I have a lot of SQL data that I really need to save, and I don't know what I can do to fix the problem besides reinstalling Linux... so, my question is how I would go about backing up my SQL files in a way that I'll be able to access them again when MySQL is reinstalled later. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    oop... nvm... wow... i never would have thought the ftp command would work in rescue mode.

Linux Enthusiast
    So, does this means you have soved the problem or not?

If not, all you have to do, is to copy all files from your MySQL data root directory to another media.
    Make a new fresh installation of your server (if wanted a new server), install Apache, MySQL as it was in the other server.
    Shutdown MySQL server instance, and copy your previous copied MySQL files back into this newly installed server.
    Start up MySQL! That should do it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by swemic
    So, does this means you have soved the problem or not?

If not, all you have to do, is to copy all files from your MySQL data root directory to another media.
    Make a new fresh installation of your server (if wanted a new server), install Apache, MySQL as it was in the other server.
    Shutdown MySQL server instance, and copy your previous copied MySQL files back into this newly installed server.
    Start up MySQL! That should do it.
    Thanks. Yes, that's what I did, I copied all the files in /var/lib/mysql/ and FTP'd them to another server. I just didn't think it'd be that easy to restore all the SQL data, I thought MySQL would be confused if I just threw in those files. Guess not, which is good.