Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright I am setting up my network with three computers one linux server, one linux desktop, and one windows xp desktop. I want to set up a network gate way ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Home network??????

Alright I am setting up my network with three computers one linux server, one linux desktop, and one windows xp desktop. I want to set up a network gate way so that all internet will go through that one machine. I also want it to be the file server.
    At the moment I think I have too many questions to get started. But all my hardware is installed and recognized.
    Would the first step to get IP addresses for all the computers? And since my sever has two network cards do I set an IP address for ETH0 and have ETH1 detect and ip address automatically.
    I'm reading tons of books and I'm just not understanding what to do first.
    What is DHCP and will I need it for my network? Yes/ NO
    What is DNS and will it be usefull for my network. Yes/NO

I know you could go on for days answering these question. Please help me get started?
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    DHCP is a protocol for assigning network IP's to computers, so more then likely yes, you'll need that.

DNS is a protocol for asociating domain names with ip adresses. For instance, if you type in your web browser, http://www.google.ca, or what have you, it contacts a DNS server and find the corresponding IP to connect to. These DNS' are usually automaticly picked up, but you need one to be able to find out what any web page, or any other domain name, actually points to

Linux Guru
    The Linux Documetation Project has lots of excellent HOWTO like:
    Home-Network-mini-HOWTO
    IP-Masquerade-HOWTO
    Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO
    Networking-Overview-HOWTO
    NFS-Root-Client-mini-HOWTO
    You've got some reading to do because you will want to do all of this:
    Set up IP forwarding or masquerading in your network server to share your one IP address from your ISP (whether static or DHCP) among all of your network users. That's your gateway.
    Set up iptables firewall rules in your server for security.
    Set up a Domain Name Server (DNS) in your server so your users will recognise each other by name as wel as IP address.
    Set up hostnames and IP addresses for all of your users. You can assign static IP addresses to each user, or you can set up DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to issue IP addresses from your server when users log on.
    Set up NFS (network file system) for accessing your file server by users.
    Set up SAMBA so your Windows machine and Linux machines can exchange files.
    Set up NFS clients on all of your users.

And there's probably some other stuff....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close