Find the answer to your Linux question:
just curious about FC2 so...... removed MDK 10.0 and replaced with FC2 on a Plll PC with an external serial modem that has been configured in Kppp and on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

modem ok - browser ?

just curious about FC2 so...... removed MDK 10.0 and replaced with FC2 on a Plll PC with an external serial modem that has been configured in Kppp and on the net for the past 2 wks with (MDK 10.0) and no problems.
    Now with FC2, I have newly configured the Kppp dialer, set dev to /dev/ttys0, like before and the modem dials and login screen confirms the connection. (I can hear on an extension phone). But........neither browser (Moz or Konq) can find the connection. (unable to connect to host)
    In the internet connection wizard, I have created a new modem connection and configured the modem and ISP info, but cannot activate the device (error 6 or 8 ). Also this modem does not show up in the hardware browser. Only the ethernet card shows up.
    Any idea what's going on?
    Thanks for any help

Linux Enthusiast
    Its been a while since I used any kind of PPP communication as my primary internet connection. However, have you checked out that you do not have any IP configuration for your Ethernet device, and have you checked your ppp device after you have successfully connected to your ISP?
    You should have an IP assigned to you ppp(0) device, and you should have a default route over this connection as well. And yes, check out your /etc/resolv.conf file as well after you have connected to your ISP, thats where your nameserver configuration will reside